The New Jersey Highlands Coalition represents a diverse network of organizations—small and large, local, regional, statewide and national—and individuals. Its mission is to represent their common goal to protect, enhance and restore the New Jersey Highlands and to preserve the quality and quantity of drinking water both for the 850,000 people in the Highlands as well as the more than four million people in surrounding areas who depend on Highlands water.
Specifically, the New Jersey Highlands Coalition focuses is on:
- Safeguarding the water resources, ecological integrity, and biodiversity of the New Jersey Highlands.
- Promoting the development and implementation of a strongly protective Highlands Regional Master Plan.
- Ensuring strict enforcement of the NJ DEP’s Highlands Water Protection and Planning Act, and other regulations.
- Increasing local, state, federal and private sources of funding for land conservation and stewardship in the region, and promoting better planning, growth management and land acquisition strategies.
- Educating the public and decision-makers on, and serving as an information source for, New Jersey Highlands preservation issues.
- Mobilizing individuals and organizations into a strong alliance to protect, preserve and enhance the New Jersey Highlands.