The California Regional Office is seeking an Office Manager to join our California Regional Office, located in San Francisco. This position oversees the operation of the regional office and also provides administrative and backup legal support to the attorneys.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Respond to general inquiries regarding Earthjustice, the California Regional Program, employment, etc.
- Manage California Regional calendar, mail, email and voicemail.
- Arrange and plan office events as well as travel for program staff.
- Assist with arranging conference calls and meetings.
- Ensure overall office appearance, housekeeping and organization, which include upkeep of the kitchen, conference rooms, and copy rooms.
- Draft and edit correspondence and other written materials for program staff as needed.
- Help prepare and review fundraising materials.
- Confidential file maintenance and library management.
- Coordinate with other Regional Office Managers to assist in the development of best business practices.
- Manage and complete expense reports and check requests for staff members.
- Prepare quarterly billing statements for all regional office clients; maintain billing records.
- Manage Timeslips, including running monthly and as-needed reports.
- Track expenses against monthly budget reports.
- Assist managing attorney with budget development and implementation.
- Assist with wire transfers and accounting.
- Serve as liaison between Headquarters Human Resources department and the California Regional office as well as provide instructions and guidance to employees on human resources procedures and documentation requirements.
- Coordinate recruitment of staff, law clerks and volunteers.
- Review resumes for new hires, conduct interviews and check references.
- Conduct orientation for new employees, clerks and volunteers.
- Coordinate work flow and arrange for temporary help when needed.
- Maintain personnel files and other management files.
- Supervise Litigation Assistants.
- Supervise volunteers.
- Review and approve employee time cards as well as act as delegate for additional approvals for CA Regional staff, when needed
Backup Litigation Support
- Formatting, proofreading, and cite-checking.
- Court and agency filing of legal documents.
- Responsibility for following procedural court and agency rules.
- Preparing standard pleadings.
- Factual and paralegal research.
- Communication with clients and courts.
- Responding to public inquiries.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- 2 years minimum of Office Manager Experience required.
- Litigation assistant experience and knowledge of federal court rules preferred.
- Experience in basic bookkeeping.
- Strong communication skills.
- Supervisory experience.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize work quickly under deadline pressure while maintaining accuracy.
- Solid computer skills, including proficiency with Adobe Acrobat and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Excellent proofreading skills, spelling, punctuation, and grammar.
- Ability to work both independently and in collaboration with others.
- Demonstrated commitment to protecting the environment.
- A good sense of humor.
We offer a mission and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity.
Application Procedure: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis; the position is available immediately. Please send a cover letter and resume: email@example.com. Subject line should read: “Office Manager.” No telephone calls or drop-ins.
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters and citizens to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring the best and brightest who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with nine offices across the U.S.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.