The Direct Response Manager will oversee all aspects of the planning and execution of a robust program of direct mail donor acquisition, resolicitation, renewal, and cultivation, as well as a limited program of telefundraising. The position is accountable for meeting or exceeding specific financial goals and works in close collaboration with the Director of Donor Relations, a full-service external direct response agency, and an internal online fundraising team in order to achieve those goals. The Direct Response Manager reports to the Director of Donor Relations.
- Working in partnership with the Director of Donor Relations and an external, full-service direct response agency, develop and implement strategies for direct mail donor acquisition, solicitation, and stewardship, and a limited program of telefundraising.
- Meet or exceed annual revenue targets for the direct mail and telefundraising initiatives, currently budgeted at $3M for FY15.
- Work in close collaboration with Earthjustice’s online fundraising team in order to set and achieve jointly-held goals for: new donor acquisition; mid-level donor solicitation and stewardship; monthly donor recruitment and upgrading; and donor retention.
- Manage the direct mail production calendar and ensure that all production steps and deliverables are achieved and delivered on schedule. Maintain a system for archiving creative samples.
- Oversee the development of compelling solicitation messages in alignment with the Earthjustice brand identity and ensure a high level of quality and accuracy in all direct response creative and supporting collateral.
- Schedule and facilitate creative briefings between Earthjustice program staff and our agency creative team.
- Serve as the primary day-to-day contact between Earthjustice and our direct response agency for issues relating to the timely and accurate production of our direct mail and telemarketing programs. Including running weekly production and strategy calls with our agency partners and internal stakeholders.
- In partnership with our direct response agency, develop audience segmentation, list selection requirements, and testing objectives and strategies. Oversee the management of the Earthjustice donor list for rental and exchange purposes in partnership with an external list broker.
- Support the Planned Giving team in developing and producing planned giving stewardship and marketing mailings.
- Assist in annual revenue and expense planning, budgeting, and reforecasting efforts.
- Track and analyze the response to our direct mail efforts, and apply the learning to future efforts. Produce occasional reports.
- Monitor costs; process invoices; and proactively identify and resolve potential cost overruns.
- Facilitate the sharing of information about upcoming mailings with relevant departments within the organization.
- Participate in an annual collaborative performance benchmarking meeting of environmental organizations and participate in all associated conference calls and meetings.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience, and 5+ years of full-time work experience, with at least 2 years of experience executing direct mail initiatives, ideally within a fundraising or membership department.
- Strong familiarity with the practices and techniques of direct response marketing & fundraising.
- Familiarity in Blackbaud eCRM or the Raiser’s edge or similar fundraising software strongly preferred.
- Prior experience overseeing a large and complex budget.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong editorial skills and a proof-reader’s eye for detail.
- Demonstrated ability to manage workflow processes & schedules.
- Ability to coordinate input from multiple stakeholders.
- Prior experience working with external consultants.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and work independently.
- Experience with Microsoft Office with significant knowledge of Excel and Access.
- Ability to lift 20-25 lbs.
- Occasional travel to conferences and meetings.
We offer a mission and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package including excellent benefits. Diversity is highly valued.
Interested candidates should submit a resume along with cover letter to email@example.com. Please include “Direct Response Manager” in the subject line.
NO TELEPHONE CALLS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected.
As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters and citizens to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.