The Legislative Assistant provides administrative support to Policy and Legislation staff and assists in the implementation of legislative and administrative strategies on environmental issue priorities for Earthjustice.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Attends, takes accurate notes and reports back on legislative hearings and hill, administration and NGO briefings as directed by PAL staff.
- Attends and takes accurate notes on conference calls as directed by PAL staff.
- Occasionally assists PAL staff in lobbying Congress when requested (phone calls, scheduling lobby meetings, community lobby days) and reports the results of same.
- Monitors media coverage of interest to PAL.
- Manages subscriptions to multiple reference resources and trade publications.
- Provides PAL staff support in research, writing, and editing a variety of materials including but not limited to fact sheets, research memos, letters, and action alerts.
- Creates and maintains vote/target list/vote count spreadsheets and databases (Congress Plus, Excel) as requested by PAL staff.
- Serves as liaison between PAL and Earthjustice Web Master regarding alert scheduling.
- Assists in the recruits and supervision of PAL interns.
- Assistance with general administrative duties, including copying, scanning, and faxing, and assisting with department’s budget tracking.
- Assists lobbyists in coordinating and organizing fly-ins and events, including coordinating travel arrangements and catering and reviewing final documents for accuracy and supervisor approval.
- Provides assistance to Office manager regarding Earthjustice’s DC Office/PAL administrative functions as requested.
- Assist Office Manager with getting PAL staff’s time accounting completed and submitted monthly.
- Coordinates planning logistics for hill briefings, receptions, and in-house meetings.
- Assist other support staff to cover the reception area/front door during program assistant’s lunch hour and other times as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Experience with the legislative process and/or environmental experience are a plus.
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office 2010 (Word, Excel, Power Point, Access) and Congress Plus.
- Strong organizational, analytical, and critical thinking skills, including ability to accurately handle multiple tasks, projects and deadlines.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills, including excellent command of spelling, punctuation and grammar.
- Good judgment, professionalism, composure under pressure, and a sense of humor.
- Detail oriented, self-starter, and proven ability to take initiative.
We offer a mission and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package including excellent benefits. Diversity is highly valued.
Interested candidates should submit a resume along with cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the “Legislative Assistant” in the subject line.
NO TELEPHONE CALLS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected.
As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters and citizens to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.