Earthjustice is seeking an associate attorney to work as a member of our oceans program. The position is open immediately. The person hired for this position will work out of Earthjustice’s offices in either San Francisco or Washington D.C., or potentially one of Earthjustice’s other regional offices.
Earthjustice’s oceans program works to protect oceans and ocean wildlife from threats such as overfishing, pollution, and habitat degradation. Our team includes four full-time attorneys who litigate cases in federal court aimed at protecting ocean resources in the Atlantic and Pacific oceans.
- Work closely with staff attorneys and clients to investigate, develop, and prosecute cases.
- Participate in the full range of tasks involved in complex litigation, including factual investigation, legal research, discovery, briefing, witness preparation, and oral advocacy.
- Manage a caseload that includes both cases for which he or she has primary responsibility under the supervision of a staff attorney, and cases on which he or she works in a supporting role with staff attorneys.
- Law school graduate who is admitted to, or willing to apply for admission to, the bar of the jurisdiction from which the attorney will practice;
- Minimum one to three years of litigation or other relevant experience;
- Strong academic credentials and excellent research, writing and communication skills;
- Strong work ethic and sense of initiative, sound yet creative judgment, a sense of humor, and an ability to work well in a collegial setting; and
- Demonstrated commitment to public interest work and a passion for the role of Earthjustice and its mission.
Starting salary is commensurate with experience. We offer an excellent benefits package.
ASSOCIATE ATTORNEY PROGRAM
An associate attorney is hired for a two-year position with a possible extension for a third year.
The program is designed to help attorneys develop into thoughtful, professional, and effective advocates skilled in the various phases of public interest litigation. Associates have gone on to other positions within Earthjustice, with other public interest organizations, and in government.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter, resume, writing sample (preferably a legal brief or memorandum that primarily reflects the applicant’s work), law school transcript, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org (put “Oceans Associate Attorney Search” in the subject line) or to: Oceans Associate Attorney Search, Earthjustice, 50 California Street, Suite 500, San Francisco, CA 94111. Please no telephone calls or faxes. Email applications are preferred.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. We expect to fill the position by Fall 2014.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected.
As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters and citizens to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.