This position in Earthjustice’s Policy and Legislation Department is focused on developing and implementing both legislative and administrative strategies regarding citizen access to the courts, judicial nominations and federal rulemaking procedures.
- Development and implementation of legislative and administrative strategies relating to assigned issues.
- Directly lobbies Congress and the Administration.
- Tracks legislation relating to assigned issues.
- Develops lobby and education materials.
- Develops or assists in developing media strategies with Communications Department and conducts media outreach on assigned issues.
- Tracks legislation and policy initiatives relating to assigned issues.
- Perform policy and legislative analysis.
- Outreach to broader non-profit legal community.
- Represent Earthjustice in coalitions.
- Liaison with Earthjustice litigators working on assigned issues.
- Educate the Administration and Congress on key legal challenges and rulings.
- Based on experience, serve as spokesperson for Earthjustice on assigned issues.
- Dependent on experience, this position may supervise projects and other efforts performed on assigned issues by Assistants, Interns or Contractors.
- JD degree and one to six years related policy or legal advocacy experience.
- Demonstrated experience working with the legislative process a plus.
- Familiarity with administrative rulemaking process.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks, projects and deadlines.
- Excellent writing and oral communications skills.
- Proven ability to work in coalitions.
- Experience in working with media a plus.
- Proven ability to work independently.
We offer a mission and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity.
Interested candidates should submit a resume along with cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Access to the Courts Advocate” in the subject line.
NO TELEPHONE CALLS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected.
As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters and citizens to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.