Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Tallahassee, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, and Washington, DC.
The Florida Regional office focuses on litigation involving water pollution and conservation, public trust waters, wetlands protection, Everglades restoration, wildlife, clean air, and climate change in federal, state and administrative courts. We are also building out our healthy communities program to ensure equal access to a safe environment.
Earthjustice Florida has offices in Miami and Tallahassee. The staff attorney position is available in either office.
The hallmarks of a staff attorney are the abilities to litigate a case from beginning to end as lead or sole counsel, to develop significant new cases, and to supervise and develop associate and senior associate attorneys. The staff attorney participates in a full range of tasks that include meeting with clients and experts; conducting factual investigations, legal research, and discovery; preparing pleadings and briefs; engaging in advocacy; and participating in trial work. The staff attorney should have experience working on complex cases and outstanding and proven research and writing skills. The ability to work in a litigation team is also essential.
- Independently litigate a case from beginning to end.
- Develop significant new cases in a strategic fashion.
- Oversee the work of associate and senior associate attorneys.
- Collaborate in team problem solving, litigation strategy, litigation management and trial work.
- Perform all aspects of the litigation process, including factual and legal investigation, working with clients, drafting and editing briefs and other legal documents, conducting discovery and participating in court proceedings.
- Communicate and work effectively with external audiences such as the news media, government officials, and coalition partners. Must be able to function as an effective spokesperson for clients and for Earthjustice, including in public presentations.
- Work effectively with other departments within Earthjustice (communications, development, and policy and legislation) and with the leadership of the litigation department.
- Share the responsibility for supervising and developing associate and senior associate attorneys and must be able to work closely and effectively with them.
- Law school graduate who is admitted or willing to apply for admission, to the Florida bar.
- A commitment to serving the public interest.
- At least six years of litigation experience.
- Participation in complex litigation and outstanding and proven research skills.
- Proven research, analysis, writing, and oral advocacy skills.
- Initiative, good judgment, and a strong work ethic.
- Experience working with diverse client groups.
- Ability to work both independently and in collaboration with others.
- Willingness to work long hours and weekends as demanded by a busy docket and trial schedule.
- Ability to travel as needed for case work, court appearances and presentations.
- Demonstrate an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Contribute to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
We offer a mission- and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity.
Interested candidates should submit
- Cover Letter
- Writing Sample
- List of three references.
If you cannot attach one or more of the requested documents because of a technical difficulty, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please, no phone calls, hard copies, or drop-ins.
If you need reasonable accommodation in order to complete the application, interview or some other portion of the selection process for a job at Earthjustice, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected.
As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.