We are now accepting applications for full- or part-time legal externs for the next academic semester. We will typically choose externs 1-2 months prior to the start of the applicable semester. Applicants should indicate on their cover letter if they need a decision by a certain date.
These positions are designed for current law students who are seeking academic credit for the fall or spring semester or who wish to volunteer time without receiving credit. Positions are open in our New York City and Philadelphia offices, and applicants are expected to work on a variety of litigation projects for a minimum of 12 hours per week.
Legal externs work under the direct supervision of attorneys in the development and prosecution of litigation and other advocacy. Externs will participate in a wide range of tasks, including:
- Assisting in case investigation, legal research and discovery.
- Preparing memoranda, briefs and other legal documents for administrative and judicial proceedings.
- Currently enrolled in law school.
- Demonstrated commitment to environmental protection or environmental justice.
- Excellent research, analytic and writing skills.
- Strong work ethic.
- Initiative, creative thinking and the ability to work collegially with others.
- Significant knowledge of environmental and administrative law is a plus.
- Commitment of at least 12 hours a week.
Please note that this position does not offer compensation or benefits. We do offer academic credit.
Interested candidates should submit the following materials. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Cover letter – In one page, address why you want to work for Earthjustice and any information about yourself that is not apparent or fully explained in the resume. Please state if you prefer to work in our New York or Philadelphia office.
- Recent writing sample, preferably a legal brief or memorandum of no more than 10 pages that primarily reflects your work.
- Unofficial law school transcript
- List of references, including at least one law professor or legal employer.
Applications are accepted and offers are made on a rolling basis, so please submit as soon as possible. We will typically chose externs 1-2 months prior to the start of the applicable semester. Applicants should indicate on their cover letter if they need a decision by a certain date.
No phone calls or hard copies.
If you need reasonable accommodation in order to complete the application, interview or some other portion of the selection process for a job at Earthjustice, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected.
As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.