Earthjustice is now accepting applications for an Associate Attorney to join its Healthy Communities practice in Washington, D.C. This program is at the heart of Earthjustice’s mission to defend the right of all people to a healthy environment and encompasses Earthjustice’s work on clean air, clean water, toxic chemicals and wastes, and related domestic and international issues. The attorney selected for this position will focus on our air and toxics practice areas, and also will assist on litigation and other advocacy to protect the environment and health in the nation’s most overburdened communities.
- Work closely with Staff Attorneys and clients to investigate, develop, and prosecute cases.
- Participate in a wide range of tasks involved in complex litigation, including, where appropriate, factual investigation, legal research, discovery, briefing, witness preparation, and oral advocacy.
- As an Associate Attorney gains experience, typically her or his case load will include both cases for which he or she has primary responsibility under the supervision of a Staff Attorney, and cases on which he or she works in a supporting role with Staff Attorneys.
The Associate Attorney program is a two-year position with a possible extension for a third year. This program is designed to help attorneys develop into thoughtful, professional, and effective advocates skilled in the various phases of public interest litigation. Many Associates have gone on to other positions within Earthjustice and with other public interest organizations.
- Law school graduate admitted to, or willing to apply for admission to, the District of Columbia Bar.
- 0-5 years of litigation or related experience preferred.
- Excellent research, analytic, writing and communication skills.
- Strong work ethic, initiative, sound judgment, and creativity.
- Strong desire to fight for the right of all to a healthy environment.
- Ability to work well in a team-oriented atmosphere.
- Commitment to public interest work and a passion for the role of Earthjustice and its mission.
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
We offer a mission- and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package, including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity.
Interested candidates should submit a:
- One or two page cover letter that addresses your interest in, and qualifications for the position.
- Writing sample, preferably a legal brief or memorandum that primarily reflects your own work.
- Law school transcript.
- List of three references.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.
If you need reasonable accommodation in order to complete the application, interview or some other portion of the selection process for a job at Earthjustice, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected.
As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.