The Office Assistant is responsible for implementing and supporting operational and administrative services in the San Francisco office. The position is essential in providing an efficiently-operated office that meets the workplace needs of the staff. The Office Assistant will report to the Sr. Operations Manager.
- Cover morning and afternoon reception breaks.
- Serve as backup for the receptionist.
- Ensure that the reception desk manual is maintained.
Office Systems Management
- Maintain upkeep of copy rooms by cleaning up counters and reorganizing supplies.
- Update and maintain signage and instructions for space and equipment.
- Ensure overall office appearance and housekeeping.
- Maintain upkeep of the kitchen by cleaning appliances, wiping the counters, starting the dishwasher, unloading the dishwasher, and emptying and cleaning the coffeemaker, coffee pots, and refrigerators.
- Maintain upkeep of conference rooms by ensuring adequate supplies, maintaining equipment, removing dirty dishes, rearranging chairs, and cleaning off dry erase boards.
- Water common area plants.
- Pick up daily mail, sort, and deliver to the appropriate staff and mailboxes.
- Send out mail daily and assist others with shipping.
- Maintain upkeep and storage of packages in the reception closet.
- Set up workspaces for new staff and help new staff with adjustments.
- Assist in office moves or changes.
- Install and adjust standing desks.
- Assist in ergonomic installs, such as keyboard trays.
Supplies and Furniture
- Review supply quantities and restock supplies.
- Troubleshoot furniture, such as chairs and desks.
- Learn to operate all office equipment, provide training to staff on the equipment, and oversee proper use of all equipment.
- Troubleshoot office equipment and place service calls.
- Maintain upkeep of first aid and earthquake kits.
- Maintain knowledge of OSHA requirements and ensure office environment is fully compliant.
- Contribute to emergency planning for the organization.
- Clean and organize onsite storage rooms.
- In cases of disposal, research groups that we could donate to or would like to purchase our equipment.
- Maintain an up-to-date list of items in our offsite storage facility and in our onsite storage rooms.
- Ship or retrieve boxes from offsite as needed.
- Monitor shred bins and place calls for service.
Support for Staff and Operations
- Become lead for HQ Office Manager’s office responsibilities when the Office Manager is out of the office.
- Respond to staff questions and requests and provide assistance to all departments.
- Assist Finance if needed in scanning, filing, and scheduling meetings with budget managers and Office Managers.
- Provide support to the Sr. Operations Manager and Office Manager.
- Act as backup and provide assistance not just for Operations Admin but for Finance, HR, DEI, and Executive departments.
- Support logistics for in-house meetings and off-site meetings.
- Assist IT with computer installs or moves.
- Turn on unused computers to update anti-virus.
- Monitor laptops available to be borrowed and check in and out laptops for staff.
- Serve as back up to IT on video conferencing, projectors, and conference calls.
- Assist with monitoring IT equipment inventory.
- Provide IT support if IT staff are not available.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Offices suite of programs.
- Notary Public Commission and CPR and First Aid certification a plus.
- Ability to remain composed and effective under pressure.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work amicably with various departments and offices, while still accomplishing goals and meeting deadlines.
- High quality work standards and ethics, strong attention to detail, and willingness to dedicate time and hard work to Earthjustice.
- Effective multi-tasker with ability to quickly analyze and resolve problems.
- Energetic self-starter with the ability to work well independently, as well as in a team setting.
- Courteous, professional and helpful demeanor, possessing of a positive attitude.
- Capable problem solver with the ability to analyze factors in a situation and to develop creative and effective solutions.
- Have patient phone etiquette as well as a warm and friendly demeanor.
- Be punctual and reliable.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
We offer a mission and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter.
Please reach out to email@example.com if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.
If you need reasonable accommodation in order to complete the application, interview or some other portion of the selection process for a job at Earthjustice, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected.
As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.