The Northeast office of Earthjustice, located in New York City, is seeking two Associate Attorneys to begin work in August/September 2017.
One Associate Attorney will focus principally on efforts to promote clean energy in Northeastern states but may participate in other litigation to address climate change. The other Associate Attorney will work on the full array of health and environmental issues addressed by the office.
The Northeast office engages in litigation and other advocacy across a broad range of environmental and health issues. We oppose fossil fuel infrastructure, promote environmental justice in communities overburdened by pollution, champion more protective regulation of toxic chemicals and pesticides, and fight for sustainable food and farming. Although the regional work of the Northeast office focuses on New York, Pennsylvania, and surrounding states, we often take on cases with national scope.
Northeast office attorneys engaged in clean energy advocacy coordinate closely with staff in our Clean Energy Program, which works around the country to break down barriers to wind and solar power and to promote energy efficiency. This work is at the forefront of Earthjustice efforts to reduce emissions of climate-warming gases and to usher out dirty energy.
- Work closely with Earthjustice attorneys to build programs serving a diverse set of clients.
- Participate in the full range of tasks involved in complex litigation, including factual investigation, legal research, discovery, briefing, witness preparation, and oral advocacy.
- Participate in federal and state administrative proceedings and hearings.
- Represent Earthjustice on telephone calls and at meetings with clients, partners, co-counsel, and experts.
- Develop skills required to serve as spokesperson with print and electronic media.
- Assist with hiring and supervision of student law clerks.
The Associate Attorney program offers a two-year position with a possible extension for a third year. The program is designed to help attorneys develop into thoughtful, professional, and effective advocates skilled in the various phases of public interest litigation.As an Associate Attorney’s litigation skills grow, her or his case load will include not only cases on which he or she works in a supporting role but also cases for which he or she has primary responsibility under the supervision of a Staff Attorney.Many Associate Attorneys have gone on to other positions within Earthjustice or with other public interest organizations.
- Law school graduate with 0–5 years of full-time legal experience.
- Admission, or willingness to apply for admission, to the New York bar.
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds, and orientations.
- Excellent legal research, writing, analytical, and communication skills.
- Strong work ethic, good judgment, initiative, and creativity
- Ability to work independently and as a collegial team member
- Commitment serving the public interest.
We offer a mission- and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package, including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity.
Interested candidates should submit a:
- One- or two-page cover letter. Please state whether you are interested in the clean energy or generalist position, or both, and address: (1) why you are drawn to Earthjustice’s mission and the position(s) for which you are applying; and/or (2) any experiences you have working with people from backgrounds that differ from your own or with communities that have been disproportionately affected by environmental harms.
- Writing sample, preferably a legal brief or memorandum that reflects minimally edited work.
- Unofficial law school transcript (for candidates with 0–2 years of experience).
- List of contact information for three professional or academic references.
We are looking to hire a candidate who is available to start in the fall of 2017. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Please reach out to email@example.com if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.
If you need reasonable accommodation in order to complete the application, interview or some other portion of the selection process for a job at Earthjustice, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected.
As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.