Earthjustice is now accepting applications for a Clean Energy Staff Attorney position to be based in our Washington, DC office. We seek an attorney to join our growing team of lawyers who work to advance clean energy solutions across the country. The attorney will focus on litigation and legal advocacy before the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), in the courts, and at Regional Transmission Organizations to ensure electricity market reforms that support a transition to clean, affordable, and reliable energy infrastructure, and avoid unreasonable subsidization of coal-fired generation.
Earthjustice has a longstanding track record of success with our litigation and advocacy to reduce dependence on dirty fossil fuels and increase reliance on clean energy resources, including energy efficiency, solar, wind, demand response, and storage. We see an unparalleled opportunity to hasten a shift away from fossil fuels; achieve major, enduring reductions in carbon pollution; and secure a cleaner, smarter, more equitable electric grid. The Staff Attorney position will be part of our increased effort to advocate for policies and infrastructure that supports a swift transition to a modern sustainable energy system. In this role, the Staff Attorney will work to secure and defend rule reforms that eliminate market barriers to clean energy, and to challenge ill-conceived rules that subsidize coal generation and/or threaten to shut clean energy out of the markets.
To learn more about Earthjustice’s clean energy work, click here. While the position will be housed in our Clean Energy Program, the Staff Attorney will also work closely with our Coal Program, which you can learn more about by clicking here.
- Track tariff and rule proposals in regional energy markets and at FERC.
- Conduct legal advocacy before RTO/ISOs.
- Develop cases in a strategic fashion to support program goals.
- Litigate cases from beginning to end, performing all aspects of litigation.
- Supervise the work of Associate Attorneys.
- Collaborate with colleagues and coalition partners.
- Manage relationships with co-counsel, clients, and coalition partners.
- Serve as spokesperson for client partners and for Earthjustice.
- Work effectively with other departments within Earthjustice, including Communications, Development, and Policy and Legislation.
- Juris Doctorate (JD) degree.
- A minimum of 5 years of litigation experience.
- Licensed to practice law in Washington DC, or willingness to apply for admission within one year of employment.
- Knowledge and experience in energy law.
- Excellent legal research, writing, and oral advocacy skills.
- Initiative, good judgment, and a strong work ethic.
- Proficient at working with technical experts.
- Ability to work independently and in collaboration with client partners and staff.
- Ability and willingness to travel as needed for case work, court appearances and presentations.
- Commitment to serving the public interest.
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds, and orientations.
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workforce and culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
We offer a mission- and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package, including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and three references.
Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application.
No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.
If you need reasonable accommodation in order to complete the application, interview or some other portion of the selection process for a job at Earthjustice, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected.
As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.