Working under the direction of the Director of Development Operations, Research & Evaluation, the position is responsible for generating, segmenting and exporting data for direct mail, telefundraising, and online solicitation lists working within the donor database, Blackbaud Enterprise CRM (BBEC), based on segmentation strategies developed by fundraisers. The Data Analyst is also responsible for managing and executing import and export processes and managing data delivery with outside vendors for donor data enrichment and managing special data enrichment projects with various fundraising and organizational teams in support of strategy. The Development Data Analyst is also responsible for the production of related reports and ad hoc queries that will inform our donor cultivation and solicitation strategies. The Data Analyst also develops SQL scripts for internal audiences as well as external vendors for complex predictive analytics in support of fundraising goals.
Direct Marketing Support (60%)
- Working from detailed donor file segmentation and solicitation plans, generate, segment and export information (mailing lists, donor counts) for a complex program of direct mail, telefundraising, online solicitations, and planned giving marketing efforts.
- In conjunction with the Direct Response Manager, develop data strategy for Direct Marketing efforts. Advise on predictive modeling methods in development of specific marketing efforts.
- Serve as the primary contact for data needs and inquiries to/from our direct response fundraising agency, telefundraising firms, analytics firm, caging/lockbox operation, and internal stakeholders in support of the direct marketing program. Develop or improve our processes for communicating and fulfilling data requests.
- Oversee the processes and practice of generating and assigning tracking codes to fundraising solicitations (online & offline). Serve as the point person for questions about coding and tracking donor response.
- Ensure the accuracy of the data files generated in response to specific requests.
Data Quality and Enrichment (20%)
- Upload new prospect and donor records into the donor database and append new and updated data to existing records from a variety of sources. Improve and develop supporting processes where necessary.
- Oversee data enrichment processes, including but not limited to quarterly national change of address (NCOA, PCOA), demographic and constituent contact updates (gender, ethnicity) as well as coordinating constituent file de-duping with Data Services staff. Collaborate with the Data Services team and external response processing and caging/lockbox service on trouble-shooting and resolving data hygiene issues and processes.
- Continually audit internal data hygiene practices for constituent data to be up-to date and document all operations procedures for future evaluation.
- Oversee periodic constituent research model scores and ratings imports/exports coordinating with the Database Manager and outside vendors as needed.
- Seek out and act on opportunities to enhance the data we capture about our donors and their giving preferences in support of our cultivation and solicitation efforts.
Analysis Support (20%)
- Generate regular reports and ad hoc queries that inform on fundraising strategies and drive our donor cultivation and solicitation strategies in the CRM as well as through SQL queries.
- Provide required data for our data analytics and benchmarking research activities. Review diagnostic reports to ensure that our benchmarking vendor is accurately interpreting our donor response data.
- Prepare and send weekly response files to our direct response agency. Reconcile our agency’s reporting with our own internal systems.
- Serve as part of a multi-disciplinary team tasked with synchronizing data between the primary donor database and our online eCRM.
- Manage our direct response testing efforts, including scheduling, tracking, results reporting, and knowledge capture and application.
- Update and document Development Operation procedures as related to the role.
- Bachelor’s degree and 2+ years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience working with a donor database or constituent relationship management system, preferably Blackbaud Enterprise CRM or the Raiser’s Edge.
- Experience in direct marketing, preferably with a fundraising background.
- Experience with developing and auditing SQL queries.
- Experience with complex MS Access queries and macros and use of MS Access for data manipulation.
- Proven ability to query data, identify critical information, analyze and then make recommendations.
- Experience in analysis and data interpretation in support of direct marketing strategy.
- Prior experience in data management and familiarity with fundraising practices and principles.
- Experience supporting a direct marketing program is a distinct plus.
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft Excel and Access required.
- Strong time management skills and ability to set and manage priorities.
- A proven self-starter.
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
We offer a mission- and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package, including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity.
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter.
If you are having technical difficulties submitting your application, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please, no hard copies, phone calls, or drop-ins.
If you need reasonable accommodation in order to complete the application, interview or some other portion of the selection process for a job at Earthjustice, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected.
As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.