This position in Earthjustice’s Policy and Legislation Department is focused on advocating for and defending laws and policies that promote a shift from fossil fuel to clean energy in key states and opposing measures that seek to increase fossil fuel development and consumption.
- Develop and implement legislative and administrative advocacy strategies relating to assigned issues.
- Directly lobby multiple state legislatures.
- Tracks trends, legislation and policy initiatives relating to assigned issues nationally and in key states.
- Seeks out opportunity for proactive policy movement.
- Develops lobby and education materials, including but not limited to fact sheets, letters, action alerts and blogs.
- Works with Communications Department to develop media strategies and conducts outreach to media on assigned issues.
- Perform policy and legislative analysis.
- Cultivate state and national clean energy allies, thoughtful partnerships and coalitions in support of assigned issues.
- Conduct outreach to local environmental justice organizations and communities in key states.
- Coordinate briefings, seminars, and informational sessions with partners in key states.
- Represents PAL on Earthjustice practice and work groups related to assigned issues.
- Liaison with Earthjustice Practice Group Chair, relevant litigators, communications campaigners and press secretaries working on assigned issues.
- Educate state legislators on key legal challenges and rulings.
- Serve as spokesperson for Earthjustice on assigned issues.
- Manage projects and other efforts performed on assigned issues by Assistants, Interns, Contractors or others.
- Bachelor’s degree required, J.D. a plus.
- Two to five years of experience working within legislative and administrative processes.
- Familiarity with administrative rulemaking process.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks, projects and deadlines.
- Detail oriented and good organizational skills.
- Excellent writing and oral communications skills.
- Proven ability to lead and work within coalitions and with allies.
- Previous experience working with environmental justice communities a plus.
- Experience working with traditional and social media.
- Self-starter with proven ability to work independently and proactively, and as part of a team.
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Contributes to recruiting, hiring, developing and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce.
We offer a mission- and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package, including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity.
Interested applicants should submit a resume and cover letter.
Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application.
No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.
If you need reasonable accommodation in order to complete the application, interview or some other portion of the selection process for a job at Earthjustice, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected.
As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.