This is a position that supports the media team at Earthjustice. Earthjustice’s litigation, policy, and advocacy work falls into three major program areas: Climate and Clean Energy; Healthy Communities; and Lands, Oceans and Wildlife. Each of the program areas are staffed by a small communications team, which determines how to best use the tools of media, community organizing, storytelling, etc., to achieve impact on priority issues. The media team is distinct from these communications teams in that its job is to create and respond to media opportunities that fall outside the focus of these major areas for communications or that cut across multiple program areas. The media team is led by a Senior Press Secretary, and supported by this position along with another press secretary.
The Media Associate helps manage and triage media queries, and researches media outlets to help identify and leverage opportunities in consultation with other communications staff. This person also monitors, tracks and compiles media data, creates media monitoring reports, and maintains media contact lists. This person posts press releases to the website and assists with social media coordination on breaking news. The Media Associate assists the Senior Press Secretary in coordinating media contractors who support our regional offices located throughout the country and our international program. This person may blog and draft press releases, talking points, and media outreach content. The Media Associate gets exposure to a wide range of media platforms and environmental topics and will learn about the various elements of a successful media strategy first-hand.
Support and staffing for organization-wide media responsibilities:
- Works with Senior Press Secretary and other members of the Earthjustice media team to staff and support a wide variety of media outreach strategies and respond to media queries as they develop
- Staffs external and internal media requests and redirects and tracks them as needed
- Tracks and compiles media-monitoring data, creates media-monitoring reports, and maintains media lists
- Updates media lists to ensure old emails are removed and new reporters are added
- Helps coordinate with and support media contractors for our regional offices
- Drafts press releases, talking points, and media-outreach content
- Posts press releases to the website and may help with social media coordination on breaking news
- Helps monitor media coverage to flag potential media opportunities as they arise
- Helps update media lists and contacts
- If above responsibilities allow, may take on special projects related to media opportunities for Earthjustice or the production of media-friendly content for the website.
- Develops relationships with media contacts and pitches news and story ideas as needed
- Monitors media landscape including editorial and technological developments and helps media team develop strategies to take advantage of new platforms and tools.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, Communications, Political Science, or Marketing preferred.
- Some experience with media relations/public relations landscape preferred
- Outstanding organizational and multitasking skills
- Excellent data organization and workflow management skills
- Outstanding written communication skills
- Ability to manage a fast-moving workflow
- Some familiarity with the media landscape
- Social media experience and skills, especially Twitter
- Some experience using multimedia communications tools
- Excellent Excel and spreadsheet skills
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
We offer a mission- and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package, including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity.
Interested candidates should submit a resume, cover letter, and links to either your own social media accounts or social media accounts that you have managed for other organizations. Apply online via the Jobvite system.
Please reach out to email@example.com if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application.
No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership, and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other factor that is not related to the position.
If you need reasonable accommodation in order to complete the application, interview or some other portion of the selection process for a job at Earthjustice, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected.
As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.