Earthjustice’s Florida regional office is seeking an entry-level, full-time Bilingual Litigation/Office Assistant to provide administrative support to our lawyers. The position is available immediately and is located in Miami.
The Florida regional office focuses on litigation involving water pollution, water conservation, wetlands protection, endangered species protection, fish and wildlife conservation, Everglades restoration, clean and renewable energy, and equal access to a healthy environment for all. The work of the office focuses on Florida, but we often take on cases involving other parts of the southeastern United States.
The Litigation/Office Assistant will assist Florida regional office attorneys and will provide back-up support to the Office Manager and other Litigation Assistant located in Tallahassee. Tasks may include but are not limited to the following:
- Handle day to day operations of the Miami office in coordination with the Florida Regional Office Manager and Managing Attorney, including answering phones, handling incoming and outgoing mail, ensuring adequate supplies, scheduling meetings;
- Create, organize and maintain case files;
- Maintain calendar of court and administrative deadlines in assigned cases;
- Participate in litigation team meetings;
- Proofread, finalize and prepare documents for filing and service in accordance with legal rules in a variety of court and administrative forums, including electronic and conventional (paper filings, copies and binding) filing;
- Draft correspondence for attorneys;
- Assist attorneys preparing for and appearing in court and administrative proceedings, including evidentiary hearings, trials, and oral arguments; and
- Provide general administrative assistance (taking meeting minutes, updating litigation database, communications with agencies and courts, monitoring court rules, and other office tasks) to Office Manager and Litigation Assistant.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent years of experience;
- Strong bilingual written and oral skills (Spanish-English)
- Excellent editorial, proofreading, and computer skills (word processing, Adobe, databases and spreadsheets, etc.);
- Highly organized, with the ability to set priorities among multiple assignments, to meet deadlines, and to function effectively and calmly under pressure;
- Aware of and sensitive to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds, and orientations;
- Interest in contributing to the creation of a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences;
- Meticulous attention to detail and an unrelenting commitment to high professional standards;
- A can-do attitude, with an ability and willingness to dive into unfamiliar areas, such as when filing court papers in a new venue;
- Flexibility, punctuality, reliability, and integrity;
- A team player, who willingly performs necessary tasks;
- Availability for occasional travel and work outside normal working hours;
- Paralegal experience or training is a plus.
We offer a mission- and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package, including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity.
Interested applicants should submit a:
- Cover letter explaining qualifications and interest in working at Earthjustice, and
We are looking to hire as soon as possible. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application.
No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.
If you need reasonable accommodation in order to complete the application, interview or some other portion of the selection process for a job at Earthjustice, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected.
As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.