The Office Manager position provides the Policy and Legislation office (PAL) of Earthjustice with facilities management, accounts payable, computer/technological, human resources, and events support. The position also acts as a communications liaison between the Regional Office and San Francisco headquarters on administrative, budget, human resources and other key operational issues.
- Responsible for facilities including annual property lease, office equipment leasing, purchasing, vendors, maintenance and safety.
- Oversees administrative office workflow and makes adjustments as necessary to improve overall productivity and efficiency.
- Drafts, edits and maintains professional service contracts; while ensuring compliance with organizational policies.
- Acts as liaison between Earthjustice and property owner for building services, repairs, and issues.
- Acts as primary contact for building security.
- Updates calendar, staff list, issue codes list, etc. as necessary.
- In charge of office event planning, staff travel, organizing & scheduling internal staff and/or client meetings.
- Manages general PAL email and voicemail inboxes and distributes or responds to inquiries.
- Maintains all online accounts, website passwords, and subscriptions (such as CQ, Inside EPA, etc).
- Ensures overall appearance of regional office, housekeeping and organization, document retention, and recycling program.
- Provides administrative support to visitors, clients, volunteers, clerks and interns.
- Coordinates with other Office Managers to assist in the development of best business practices.
- Provides orientation and office procedures and policies training to new employees, volunteers, and clerks.
- Manages internal e-mail distribution lists and adds/removes staff as necessary.
- Manages PAL Intranet page Atlas.
- Copying, scanning, printing, and faxing.
- Coordinates and manages PAL mailings (e.g. the Holiday Card).
- Coordinates PAL attendance at special external events as assigned (luncheons, receptions, etc.).
- Troubleshoots printing issues throughout office.
- Calendars and coordinates use of the video-conferencing equipment.
- Signs for packages; receives and sorts U.S. mail, newspapers, periodicals, sends out Federal Express, UPS and USPS packages.
- Keeps running list of inventory in the supply room and facilitates new supply orders (including coffee and tea).
- Greets guests and meeting attendees, alerts staff of visitors and helps visiting Earthjustice employees find work space within the office suite.
- Maintains and updates office key list for entry into the building/suite/fitness center.
- Serves as safety coordinator for building/office emergencies.
- Orders food/catering service for meetings and special events.
- Liaison between Finance Department and PAL Program.
- Works with V.P. of Policy and Legislation and Legislative Directors in preparation of annual operating budget.
- Manages the annual operating budget; prepares financial reports, tracks expenditures, reforecast, and conducts variance analysis to ensure budget compliance.
- Processes PAL team invoices and expenses including review, approval, payment and maintenance of records.
- Responsible for petty cash disbursement, credit card charges, and reconciliation reporting.
- Manages lobbyists’ time entries in the database and generates reports for headquarters.
- Manages and submits reimbursements for PAL staff and organizational partners.
- Ensures PAL staff meet deadlines for time keeping, attendance and reimbursements.
Human Resources/Recruitment (10%)
- Serves as the liaison between the Human Resources and the PAL staff by addressing personnel inquires and issues.
- Coordinates recruitment process for PAL staff including interviews and communications between applicants and staff; organizes, maintains and archives applications based on organizational procedures.
- Ensures I9 and new hire paperwork is complete in the Sapling system.
- Orientates new hires on H.R. and IT systems, such as Citrix, iTimeKeep etc.
Information Technology (5%)
- Maintains electronic files for PAL team.
- Liaison between PAL team and IT department.
- Manages equipment including video conferencing, web-connect online meetings, telephone/voicemail system, copier, scanner and printers.
- Oversees lobbying time and expense tracking for PAL.
Earthjustice Action Support (15%)
- Oversees administration and functioning of affiliated 501c4 organization.
- Coordinates organizational governance in coordination with Secretary including setting up and running board meetings, taking minutes, processing conflict of interest tasks, and maintaining board/governance related documentation.
- Assists with any corporate filings.
- Oversees organizational compliance by working with external vendors and Earthjustice staff to maintain registrations and insurances.
- Oversees organizational budget and reporting including producing and reviewing monthly financial reports and periodic board financial statements.
- Provides bookkeeping support by overseeing the external bookkeeping service, reviewing expenses for budget and policy conformance, and producing emergency checks.
- Coordinates monthly time reporting and billing cycle between Earthjustice and Earthjustice Action.
- Manages company credit card and petty cash.
- At least 5-7 years of professional office management or equivalent experience; understanding of and experience with a multi-site organizational structure highly preferred.
- Strong understanding of budget management and financial systems.
- Proven track record of successfully meeting organizational goals and deadlines; solid budget management experience.
- Hands on experience with the operations and business functions of an organization.
- Ability to work collaboratively in teams managing multiple projects with complex deliverables in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to translate complex data into relevant and understandable information; ability to train or instruct others in business processes and/or tools to support those processes.
- Familiar with using office equipment (copiers, fax machines, postage meter).
- Non-profit experience preferred.
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
We offer a mission and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package including excellent benefits. We offer flexible hours based on our 37.5 hour work week, as well as casual dress code. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
To ApplyInterested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter explaining their interest in Earthjustice. Submit online via the Jobvite system.
Please reach out to email@example.com if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership, and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other factor that is not related to the position.
If you need reasonable accommodation in order to complete the application, interview or some other portion of the selection process for a job at Earthjustice, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected.
As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.