The Policy and Legislation (PAL) intern will work with the PAL department, which is comprised of environmental lobbyists and advocates, to protect our courtroom victories from efforts to undo them in Congress and defend and strengthen the same environmental laws Earthjustice enforces in the courtroom. The intern will learn how a non-profit environmental organization weighs in on environmental policy at the federal level and gain considerable insight into congressional procedures, the policy process, environmental nonprofit lobbying and advocacy strategizing, coalition building, and associated communications and outreach.
- Assist in various tasks, including online research and blog writing
- Attend Congressional hearings and coalition meetings
- Prepare and disseminate information to Congressional offices and PAL staff
- Make phone calls to Congressional offices
- Manage databases and spreadsheets
- Assist with outreach and preparation for events sponsored by PAL
- Draft and edit policy documents and fact sheets
- Opportunity for short and/or long-term research projects on a variety of issues, depending on the intern's interests
- Must be currently enrolled in a college/university program to apply; undergraduates in their Junior or Senior year are preferred
- Must reside in the DC metro area or be willing to relocate for the duration of the internship
- Excellent writing, organizational, and communication skills
- Working knowledge of online research and MS Office programs
A stipend will be provided.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume online by the deadline. Emailed or incomplete applications will not be accepted. No phone calls please.
Internship Duration: May through July
Application Deadline: February 7th, 2018
Law students are encouraged to apply separately to our litigation department for law clerk positions.
If you need reasonable accommodation in order to complete the application, interview or some other portion of the selection process for a job at Earthjustice, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected.
As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.