Director of Public Support
San Francisco, CA
The Director of Public Support is responsible for the creation and management of strategic, well-coordinated and compelling individual and mid-level giving programs, from donors giving up to $35,000 annually, with the goal of increasing overall donor engagement, retention and support for Earthjustice programs. The Director oversees a team of five, including a three-member Donor Relations team, a mail and telemarketing manager, and a mid-level donor manager. The Director works closely with the Development Operations, Donor Marketing and Engagement, Major Gifts, and Planned Gifts teams to ensure thoughtful, holistic and well-integrated individual and mid-level giving solicitation and stewardship programs. The Director works closely with the Communications and Online teams to leverage fundraising, outreach and marketing strategies for enhanced donor engagement through various Online strategies. The Director also works closely with the Foundations team to leverage program information and written materials for the individual giving program.
Reporting to the Associate Vice President for Development, this position creates and oversees strategies to sustain donor loyalty, increase donor investment, expand and diversify our donor-base, and distinguish Earthjustice from other environmental organizations.
Program Development and Strategy (40%)
- In coordination with the VP and AVP of Development, develops and oversees a general support and mid-level giving program, designed to cultivate and solicit support from a broad base of individual donors.
- In coordination with the Online team, oversees the development, integration, and evaluation of donor-centric fundraising strategies for donor acquisition and solicitation in a variety of media, with direct oversight of mail and phone engagement, and some events and trips.
- Oversees a high quality donor relations and stewardship protocol and capacity, including ensuring Development staff are informed of donor issues and trends and are trained to handle donor requests and interactions.
- Oversees enhancement of the mid-level program, to improve donor loyalty, investment and engagement, including a rebranding effort.
- Working with the Events and Trips team, develops a public events program to maximize public engagement, including teleconferences, public-speaking engagements, and field trips.
Management (Essential Functions): (20%)
- Manages a team of five, supervising three positions directly: Direct Response Manager, Donor Relations and Engagement Manager, and a Mid-Level Program Manager.
- Recruits and hires qualified candidates who fit position requirements and the work environment.
- Promotes change in terms of the expected benefits, as well as removing or lowering the impact of potential obstacles.
- Sets clear team direction that aligns with Earthjustice strategy, mission, and vision.
- Develops staff by providing career development opportunities with appropriate training, encouragement, and supervision.
- Conducts annual performance reviews and provides staff with regular performance feedback; acts as a coach and mentor.
- Promotes inclusive work environment for team and models inclusive behavior.
Internal Communication and Program Coordination (20%)
- Ensures that the Development Operations team is well-informed of solicitation plans and tactics to maximize the efficiency of work flows and effectiveness in all three key areas.
- Work closely with the Directors of Major Gifts and Planned Giving to ensure individual giving program is successful in informing donors of other giving opportunities and creating an effective pipeline for other giving opportunities.
- Collaborates effectively with Donor Marketing and Engagement, Communications, Litigation, and PAL teams to ensure that fundraising messages are aligned with program and that the organization’s legal work is accurately represented in communications with donors.
- Oversees the design and creation of compelling and effective print and electronic collateral, for individual and mid-level giving programs.
- Ensures communications, cultivation programs, and donor interactions with Earthjustice are of the highest quality possible.
Analytics, Research, and Reporting (20%)
- Collaborates with Development Operations and Target Analytics to measure, analyze and report on fundraising and program performance and to inform on improvements to the program.
- Conducts research on best practices and individual giving trends and advises Development team on opportunities to enhance efforts.
- Oversees staff’s work with finance department to ensure compliance with state fundraising regulations and institutional policies.
- Maintains best practices to ensure all standards for the BBB Wise Giving Alliance are adhered to as well as promoting an operation with the goal of the organization maintaining a Charity Navigator four-star charity.
- Other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate will have a minimum of five to seven years of successful donor development and stewardship programs. S/he will have a minimum of three years of experience in staff supervision, leadership and management.
Other essential qualifications and attributes include:
- Direct experience with individual giving strategies, donor relations, and developing donor pipelines for other giving opportunities.
- Individual donor relationship experience through mid-level giving a must; major giving preferred.
- Must be creative and able to develop and improve upon donor relations strategies that lead to greater donor loyalty and engagement.
- Highly adept at developing successful, cross-functional teams, characterized by effective communications, a positive attitude and shared goals.
- Exceptional analytical, strategic planning, and problem-solving skills.
- Understanding of how to translate key analytics into improved processes.
- Effective vendor management and negotiation skills.
- Superior verbal and written communication and marketing skills, including the ability to communicate program information clearly and concisely.
- Proficient in core computer skills, including Word, Excel, Internet, and donor databases.
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Contributes to recruiting, hiring, developing and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce.
Management (Essential Skills)
- Significant experience in management of a large multi-channel general support or membership program.
- Experienced with building a public facing donor relations/stewardship function with exhibited successes.
- Ability to manage and lead a diverse team in a diverse environment with emotional intelligence and cultural competency
- Has self-awareness and understands the impact of behaviors and emotional intelligence in the workplace. Also understands team’s strengths and areas for development.
- Commitment to and experience in developing team skills and talents to meet the evolving needs of an organization.
We offer a mission- and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package, including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity.
Earthjustice has retained the services of ThinkingAhead Executive Search. Please submit your resume and expression of interest to Chris Spagnola, Recruiter at firstname.lastname@example.org and Jessica Martinez, Recruiter at email@example.com.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership, and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other factor that is not related to the position.
If you need reasonable accommodation in order to complete the application, interview or some other portion of the selection process for a job at Earthjustice, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health, to preserve magnificent places and wildlife, to advance clean energy, and to combat climate change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.