The Contract, Compliance and Risk Management Project Attorney (Project Attorney) will be responsible for leading projects, rolling out/implementing revised or new legal compliance processes and following up to measure their effectiveness. The Project Attorney supports the GC in law practice management functions of our public interest law firm, including conducting legal research, investigating potential methods of assuring good contracting practices, assuring compliance with legal ethical standards, assisting in improving lawyer onboarding/training, developing a more advanced method of assuring appropriate tracking and reporting of the organization’s lobbying activities, and developing mechanisms for compliance in a number of other areas. The Project Attorney may also work closely with the Litigation Operations Manager and other leaders and staff members throughout the organization. The Project Attorney should be a good planner, consensus builder, able to persuade others and get projects to timely conclusion.
This is a full-time, 2-year position with a potentially renewable term.
- Review or draft contracts on an as-needed basis
- Update contract templates as needed
- Identify and manage implementation of system for centralizing contract management
- Put in place controls to ensure good contracting practices
- Maintain contract management system, assess performance and make any necessary changes
- As needed, select and supervise outside counsel; occasionally function as the client representative of Earthjustice
Risk Management (50%):
- Improve system for assuring lobbying registration and reporting
- Review insurance policies, benchmark, evaluate organizational risks/needs, prepare GC for annual insurance renewal
- Partner with Senior Operations Manager to complete, monitor compliance and conduct ongoing research/necessary revisions to physical security project and disaster preparation plans
- Determine need for compliance calendaring system as well as operational departmental legal calendaring system; assist with designing solution
- Provide support for corporate governance projects
- Provide support to GC on ethics compliance issues
- Serve on project team for development and roll out of new document management system and document retention revision/compliance project
- Provide compliance guidance to leadership on corporate governance, financial structures, investments and other significant organizational issues as needed
- Conduct legal research on a variety of subjects, interpret laws, rulings and regulations and determine how they apply to Earthjustice
- Research, present options, gain consensus, select and retain firm to monitor trademark use
- Perform other duties as assigned
Litigation Practice (20%):
- Support GC and HR by playing a lead role in developing content for onboarding of new lawyers, rolling out the onboarding, auditing results of roll out and remedying any deficiencies that become apparent in the onboarding training over time
- Develop or identify appropriate legal compliance training for all lawyers in the areas of employment, ethics and other areas where needs are identified
- Research and provide guidance to regional offices regarding unique regional legal requirements at the request of those individual regional offices
- J.D. with strong academic record
- California state Bar admission and good standing
- Minimum of 5 years of successful experience practicing law
- Experience with cost effective management of outside legal resources
- Experience drafting and revising contracts
- Experience leading projects in a law firm or legal department context
- Solid knowledge of law firm best practices
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Litigation-based practice experience
- Experience selecting and implementing technology used in law firms
- Knowledge of non-profit corporate law in the state of California
- Experience working on matters of corporate governance
- Experience in analyzing and addressing legal ethics matter
- Experience contributing to training and organizational learning
- Experience with employment law
- Experience overseeing key elements of organizational risk assessment and management
- Experience with real estate law
- Working knowledge of federal tax law as it applies to 501(c)(3) organizations in general and public-interest law firms in particular
- Non-profit experience although it can be through pro bono service
We offer a mission- and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package, including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity.
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter.
Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.
If you need reasonable accommodation in order to complete the application, interview or some other portion of the selection process for a job at Earthjustice, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected.
As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.