San Francisco, CA
As the world’s premier public interest environmental law firm, Earthjustice wields the power of law to fight for clean air and water, healthy communities, public lands and wildlife, clean energy, and a healthy climate. Earthjustice’s partnerships with clients, allies, supporters, communities and activists are critical to its success in courtrooms, legislative bodies and regulatory agencies at the federal, state and local levels. Earthjustice has a well-earned reputation for sophisticated litigation and advocacy, and has secured landmark victories in the most strategic environmental cases for nearly five decades.
Headquartered in San Francisco, Earthjustice has 13 offices across the United States, an international team, a sophisticated communications operation, and a policy and legislative group in Washington, DC. The organization is strong and growing, with a $65 million FY 2018 budget (30% higher than the prior year) and more than 300 employees, including over 110 attorneys. Continued growth is anticipated as the current political climate makes Earthjustice’s work more important than ever.
Reporting to the Board, the President and CEO has ultimate responsibility for leading the strategic, programmatic and financial operations of Earthjustice.
The President and CEO will:
- Provide strategic vision and leadership in managing the organization and its growth.
- Set a tone at the top that:
- Exudes passion for Earthjustice’s mission and reflects its fighting spirit.
- Exemplifies the organization’s values of justice, partnership, inclusion and excellence.
- Adheres to the highest standards of integrity, ethical conduct, and fairness.
- Embraces client and partner relationships and supports all areas of Earthjustice’s work.
- Champions the organization’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Work collaboratively with the Board, senior leadership team, regional offices and staff to set organizational priorities, establish annual budgets, and align resources behind strategic plans.
- Serve as the organization’s primary fundraiser, working with the Board and development department to raise necessary funds in support of the mission and plans for ambitious growth.
- Be a persuasive and passionate advocate, spokesperson and ambassador for Earthjustice with donors, advocates, environmental leaders, the media, and other stakeholders.
- Lead, motivate and develop the senior leadership team; adopt organizational structures and systems to manage growth and change; and ensure effective management of day-to-day operations.
- Provide intellectual leadership and litigation strategy on complex and pressing environmental matters, while recognizing and encouraging creativity and innovation among a talented staff.
The performance and personal competencies required for the position include the following:
Commitment to Mission and Interpersonal Qualities
- Passion about the environment.
- Must be a lawyer. Experience with litigation and environmental law preferred but not required if other compelling attributes or experiences exist, particularly in a public interest setting.
- Inspiring leader who exemplifies the “tone at the top” qualities and values described above.
- A leadership style that is collaborative and inclusive with good listening skills, high emotional intelligence, and the ability to interact effectively with people from different backgrounds.
- High levels of energy and personal resilience. Open to feedback and improvement.
- Ability to see the big picture, anticipate emerging issues, envision growth and change, and develop and articulate an inspiring path forward.
- Experience working with a board and staff to focus an organization on the right trajectory.
- A strategic, entrepreneurial, and creative approach to problem-solving.
Experience Working with External Stakeholders
- Experience building strong relationships with a broad range of stakeholders.
- Demonstrated track record of success raising funds. Capital campaign experience a plus.
- Desire and aptitude soliciting major and principal gifts from foundations and ultra high net worth individuals, working in partnership with senior professional fundraising staff.
- Ability to communicate in a credible and compelling way to a wide array of audiences.
Managing a Complex and Growing Organization
- Experience attracting, developing, and managing a high-performing leadership team.
- Ability to solicit and listen to input, arbitrate internal differences, and make timely, transparent and well-reasoned decisions on how to move forward. Excellent judgment.
- Experience developing strategic plans with ambitious and achievable goals and objectives, allocating resources accordingly, and holding others accountable for results.
- Comfortable with ambiguity, uncertainty, and managing a geographically dispersed organization through growth and change. Ability to adapt nimbly and lead others through complex situations.
- Familiarity with financial management and budgeting, business planning, modeling and projections, organizational structure, and evaluation.
Earthjustice has retained the services of Russell Reynolds Associates to lead this search. Please submit your resume and expression of interest to Mirah Horowitz at Mirah.Horowitz@russellreynolds.com and Kimberly Archer at Kimberly.Archer@russellreynolds.com.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
If you need reasonable accommodation in order to complete the application, interview or some other portion of the selection process for a job at Earthjustice, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health, to preserve magnificent places and wildlife, to advance clean energy, and to combat climate change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.