Vice President of Communications and Marketing
San Francisco, CA
This new Vice President of Communications and Marketing will have the unique opportunity to drive impact through creation of brand strategy, building upon a world class team, and partnering with the Senior Leadership Team (SLT) and other key functions throughout the organization. The Vice President of Communications and Marketing oversees all of the communications and marketing functions for the organization with goals to accomplish the following: 1) increasing the impact of Earthjustice’s litigation and advocacy efforts through effective messaging, storytelling, and sharing content through a wide array of platforms and channels; 2) increasing Earthjustice’s profile and visibility as the top environmental law organization in the world; 3) increasing the size and diversity of Earthjustice’s donor and supporter audiences by engaging audiences through compelling stories and online advocacy; and 4) building the internal culture of Earthjustice by helping staff connect to one another and be prepared to serve as enthusiastic brand ambassadors for the organization as a whole.
The Communications and Marketing department, in partnership with the President, Diversity Equity & Inclusion (DEI), Development, Policy & Legislation and the Litigation Program, works toward these goals through the design and implementation of strategic and integrated advocacy communications campaigns, effective and nimble media relations, consistent brand management, high functioning digital strategy, well-written and visually compelling outreach materials, creative marketing and event outreach and ensuring a strong link between communications and the rest of the organization. The Vice President oversees Digital Strategy, Program Communications, a Creative team, an Editorial Team, and a newly formed Marketing team. This leader ensures that all teams within the department are performing optimally, are fully integrated with the Litigation Program, are alert to where needs may come up for additional capacity for the organization (e.g., marketing or political communications), while helping to determine organizational oversight and direction as part of the senior management team.
With the President, the VP of Communications keeps him/her apprised of all major developments from the Communications and Marketing Department and helps keep the Board of Trustees and Council members and funders up to date and engaged on communications and marketing activities. He/She sits on the SLT which sets direction for the entire organization.
Collaborating with the Vice President of Diversity and Inclusion, the Vice President of Communications and Marketing shares resources and works in collaboration to ensure that the internal and external communication efforts are in line with the values and practices on promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion at multiple levels of the organization.
Collaborating with the Vice Presidents of Litigation, the Vice President of Communications and Marketing works to ensure that the appropriate cases and litigations are receiving the necessary communications resources, and that the VPs of Litigation are strategic partners in thought leadership, message development, and earned media outreach.
Collaborating with the Vice President of Development, the Vice President of Communications and Marketing works to ensure that messaging and brand identity are consistent and well-promoted across donor and other audiences and that the overall visibility and profile of Earthjustice align with the fundraising goals of the Development department and the Communications/Marketing department’s online fundraising goals.
With the Vice President of Policy and Legislation (PAL), the Vice President of Communications and Marketing ensures that communications about political and legislative developments, in and out of coalition, are nimble and effective and aligned with the company’s most strategic partners.
Communications/Marketing Management (40%):
- Leads a growing Communications/Marketing team that is diverse, collaborative, technically excellent, flexible, and extremely effective.
- Guides direct reports and entire department and others to manage and execute to fulfill strategic goals of department.
- Manages communications/marketing directors and other direct reports, to support managers in their budgetary, management and strategic communications/marketing responsibilities, to ensure a professionally challenging, productive, and enjoyable workplace consistent with the organization’s values.
- Ensures the hiring and management of talented, high-performing staff with a diverse array of communication/marketing skills, including understanding and experience working with racially and ethnically diverse audiences.
- Establishes team goals and accountabilities for staff.
- Provides regular feedback, including learning opportunities, and conducts an annual performance review for each direct report.
- Works with Communications/Marketing department fundraising staff to prepare and review online revenue projections and mid-year reforecasts of contributions.
- Provide regular reports on progress in meeting online revenue goals.
- Prepare and submit annual expense budgets, manage the implementation of those budgets and ensure the staff’s best effort to meet targets.
- Develops strong, cooperative relationships between the Communications/Marketing department and other departments in the organization.
- Develop and implement systems to support the business needs.
- Regularly update President, staff and Trustees on communications, marketing and online fundraising activities.
Communications/Marketing Leadership and Strategy (30%-40%):
- Set the vision for the department in alignment with brand, awareness, engagement, program communications, fundraising, and operations goals.
- Further clarify the organizational Earthjustice brand. Develop a compelling brand strategy and market the brand to ensure stronger target audience connections with Earthjustice.
- Lead the development of the department’s strategic plan.
- Prioritize issues for communication, marketing and online fundraising resources.
- Lead the development, maintenance, and activation of brand communications and marketing guidelines.
- Keep abreast of latest tools and trends in communications, marketing and online fundraising and determine how/when to adopt new approaches and technology.
- Work with outside consultants to identify key problems and opportunities for improvement.
- Work with Litigation, PAL, and Development to successfully implement coordinated communications, marketing and online fundraising plans.
- Determine core and future audiences for the organization and lead the development of communication, marketing and online fundraising strategies to reach these targets.
- Lead the development and monitoring of key measures of success to evaluate communications, marketing and online fundraising efforts and to help guide new initiatives.
Senior Management/Management (20%):
- Participate in development and implementation of organizational strategic plans.
- Participate in development of organizational budgets.
- Participate in implementation of major initiatives.
- Participate in setting and cultivating internal culture.
- Work with Development to ensure adequate funding sources for the communications effort.
- Represent Earthjustice at networking events, conferences, etc. Other duties as assigned.
Direct Reports include:
- Senior Director, Program Communications
- Director, Creative
- Director, Digital Strategy
- Director, Marketing
- Managing Editor
- Communications Assistant
Indirect Reports: Today, there are approximately 35 team members that report (or will report) up to five direct reports. A range of positions including, but not limited to, Web Associate, Interactive Designer and Digital Fundraising and Engagement positions are on the Digital Strategy team, while Staff Writers and Editors make up the Editorial team. The Program Communications team includes Communication Strategists and Press Secretaries, for example, while the Creative team is comprised of social media, graphic designer and multi-media positions.
The Marketing team will be new to Earthjustice as the organization builds out the branding and marketing function and strategy with the leadership of the new Vice President of Communications and Marketing.
Key Year One Objectives:
- Further develop a world-class organization in Communications and Marketing through ensuring proper alignment of team, structure, retention, hiring and development of people.
- Development of a new brand and communications strategy with a clear roadmap of plans and measurables to meet the organization’s goals, with a special emphasis on building up marketing capacity.
- Strengthening of a robust Program Communications function—press, media, and advocacy tools that provide exceptional service to our litigators and policy teams. This team functions with clarity in roles, responsibilities across programs and regions.
- Operate and contribute meaningfully with the SLT having developed collaborative and respected relationships across the staff.
Key Selection Criteria:
- Minimum 10-15 years of experience in communications and marketing, preferred.
- Experience working on advocacy communications is a plus.
- Master’s Degree - Marketing, Communications, or Environmental Studies, preferred.
Critical Competencies / Critical Success Factors:
- Builds and Manages Large, Successful Teams.
- Relationship Building /Organizational Architect
- Results-Oriented/Driving Results.
- Collaborating across the organization to accomplish objectives.
- Diversity of Thinking/Cultural Competence
- Brand- Building
- Integrated Communications Planning
- Digital Orientation towards all Communications and Marketing planning
- Advocacy Communications- Press/Media Savvy
- Exceptional Writing and Speaking capabilities
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence.
- Experience successfully managing a large, creative and diverse staff spread across different offices.
- Exceptional knowledge of communications, brand marketing, online fundraising, and advocacy fields.
- Experience managing large department budget in a fiscally responsible manner.
- Demonstrated ability to create and implement projects and work plans.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Experience with public speaking.
- Ability to think strategically.
- Knowledge of information technologies.
- Excellent computer skills. Ability to use a variety of computer and online systems.
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Contributes to recruiting, hiring, developing and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce.
Earthjustice offers a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package.
Earthjustice has retained the executive search services of DHR International. Please send your expression of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please reach out to email@example.com if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership, and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other factor that is not related to the position.
If you need reasonable accommodation in order to complete the application, interview or some other portion of the selection process for a job at Earthjustice, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health, to preserve magnificent places and wildlife, to advance clean energy, and to combat climate change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.