Human Resources Generalist
San Francisco, CA
San Francisco, CA
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Tallahassee, Miami, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, and Washington, DC.
SCOPE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This position works as a generalist on the HR team with a big focus on HRIS administration and data maintenance, benefits and compensation. Other responsibilities include reporting, metrics and analytics, onboarding and off boarding, development and implementation of human resources policies, programs, and procedures and other areas on Human Resources.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
HR Information System (HRIS) /Payroll (40%):
- Update HRIS system with employee pay data in advance of Finance running semi-monthly payroll. Updates and adjustments to payroll may include new hires, terminations, salary changes, personal information changes and other such changes.
- Maintain and update HRIS and other benefits related documents.
- Use HRIS system to handle reporting needs of the entire organization and generate ad-hoc reports as needed.
- Build out and implement a metrics and analytics dashboard that provides up-to-date analytics to staff on employee demographics including, headcount broken out by gender, race and ethnicity, new hires, turnover, and other data.
- Partner with HR, IT and Finance teams to transition documentation of employee changes to our HRIS system from a paper to an electronic process.
- Reconcile monthly health, dental, and vision bills from a variety of vendors.
- Ensure that staff complete the on-line benefits enrollment process.
- Provide staff with plan summaries for elected health benefits.
- Work with HR Manager to run the annual open enrollment meeting and process for staff across 14 office locations.
- Answer staff questions about benefits and leaves, and execute any follow-up action to assist them and assist HR Manager with internal leave management tracking.
- Provide departing staff with benefits continuation information (e.g. life insurance, COBRA)
- Partner with the VP of Human Resources to manage the annual salary review process and determine compensation strategy for the coming fiscal year.
- Develop salary structures that ensure market competitive pay for all staff.
- Create salary forecast models in Excel to set salaries for attorneys and determine overall budget implications of various scenarios.
- Manage salary review process logistics and communications with VP’s and managers.
- Analyze staff salaries across the organization to assess compliance with the California Fair Pay Act (CFPA) and partner with the VP of Human Resources to ensure compliance.
HR General/Employee Engagement (10%):
- Respond to inquiries regarding personnel policies and procedures.
- Communicate to the Vice President, HR any potential exceptions/issues as they arise.
- Design digital forms to streamline HR related processes.
- Update job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
- Participate on a variety of HR related projects and contribute to successful implementations.
- Assist Director of HR Partnerships to administer bi-annual employee satisfaction survey.
- Generate employee satisfaction survey qualitative/quantitative results.
- Manage and execute aspects of onboarding and off-boarding for staff.
- Present HR related data to staff and internal stakeholders.
- Other duties as assigned.
Essential Skills and Abilities:
- Experience with the administration of an HRIS system is required (ADP Workforce now desired).
- Advanced skills in the Microsoft Office Suite: Word, Power Point, Excel & Outlook.
- Experience in compensation analysis and forecasting a plus.
- Working knowledge of employment laws, such as wage and hour, multiple types of leaves, benefits, insurance, ADA, and non-discrimination practices.
- Highly collaborative style and willingness and demonstrated ability to work in teams.
- High level of emotional intelligence including self-motivation, self-awareness, empathy, ability to give and receive feedback, and outstanding interpersonal skills.
- Experience working in a workforce with multiple offices and across various time zones.
- Ability to work effectively with confidential information.
- Project management experience a plus.
- Strong detail orientation and organizational skills a must.
- Experience with developing and giving group presentations.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to handle a diverse workload and multi-task as needed.
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
- At least 3+ years of experience in Human Resources.
- Experience in non-profit Human Resource department is a plus but not required.
- Skill in operating various office equipment, such as personal computer, calculator, copy machine, and telephone system. Ability to perform routine bending, stooping, twisting, and reaching.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Human Resources certification, a plus (e.g. PHR, SPHR)
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent years’ experience desired.
- We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits that are comprehensive and competitive. We also offer an extremely congenial work environment and a casual dress code.
Earthjustice has retained the services of DHR International Executive Search. Please submit your resume and expression of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please reach out to email@example.com if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
If you need reasonable accommodation in order to complete the application, interview or some other portion of the selection process for a job at Earthjustice, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.