Executive Assistant to the Senior Vice President of Program and Vice President of Litigation for Climate and Energy
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Tallahassee, Miami, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, and Washington, DC.
This Executive Assistant will provide a broad range of executive administrative support to the Senior Vice President of Program (SVP) and the Vice President of Litigation for Climate and Energy (VP). This support will include facilitating workflow, managing schedules, planning meetings and travel, and serving as a point of contact for communications with the VP and SVP. The ideal individual will be creative, outgoing, able to exercise good judgment and discretion in a variety of situations in a fast-paced environment, and will have strong written and verbal communication, administrative, and organizational skills.
Except as otherwise noted, all duties and responsibilities below relate to both the Senior Vice President of Program (SVP) and the Vice President for Climate and Energy (VP).
Executive Administration (75%)
- Provide administrative support to facilitate the flow of work with Earthjustice staff and external entities.
- Serve as point of contact for scheduling meetings and video/conference calls with Earthjustice staff and external parties.
- Collaborate to plan travel so as to maximize its value to the organization while minimizing its personal impact on the VP and SVP, and work with travel agency to book travel arrangements.
- Partner with and provide backup support for the Board Liaison, Executive Team Manager and Program Leadership Team Manager, as needed.
- Support tracking and reporting on the VP and SVP’s budgets.
- Work with internal staff as necessary to compile and deliver briefing materials.
- Prepare expense reimbursements & conduct credit card reconciliations.
- Prepare outgoing written correspondence.
- Provide additional support to Program Team as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Meeting & Logistical Planning and Coordination (20%):
- Oversee budgeting, planning, and execution of meetings and conference calls, including senior staff retreats.
- Coordinate travel arrangements and expense protocols for participating staff.
- Provide meeting support functions on and off site.
- Act as liaison between travel agencies, hotels and conference centers and the finance department and various staff, as needed.
- Coordinate compilation and distribution of meeting materials and supplies.
- Determine and address technical needs for on and off-site events.
Project Management (5%):
- Undertake any other duties or projects that may be reasonably required, and deal with matters arising in a timely and effective manner.
The candidate must have the ability to:
- Complete complex tasks and projects quickly and independently
- Handle confidential and/or sensitive issues tactfully, discreetly, and diplomatically.
- Manage a complex schedule, anticipate scheduling problems, and address them creatively and proactively.
- Work comfortably with other executives, trustees and high profile individuals and organizations.
- Develop relationships with internal staff across geographies that will facilitate planning, scheduling, and communication.
- Plan on and off-site meetings.
- Organize, prioritize and manage multiple tasks, sometimes under time pressure and facing unexpected challenges, with excellent results.
- Contribute to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
- Give feedback to other staff, including the VP and SVP, to improve performance and address any interpersonal challenges.
- Accept and respond to feedback.
The candidate must have:
- Bachelor’s Degree or relevant qualifications such as Certified Administrative Professional® (CAP®), Professional Administrative Certificate of Excellence® (PACE®), Certified Executive Administrative Professional® (CEAP®), or Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) designation preferred.
- Preferred 5 years or equivalent work-related experience supporting executives in an organization of at least 50 professionals.
- Experience with traditional business software tools including Microsoft Office suite.
- Experience using Outlook is preferred.
- Experience learning about and adopting newer scheduling, planning, and productivity technologies such as Slack, Google documents, Trello, and Calendly.
- Experience with non-profit, public interest organizations, fundraising and legal work helpful.
- Humility, empathy, and a sense of humor.
- A positive, outgoing, and “can-do” attitude.
- Willingness to receive feedback and adapt in response; comfort with giving feedback.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- A demonstrated instinct for anticipating needs of executive staff.
- Meticulous attention to detail including excellent copy-editing skills.
- High ethical standards.
- An awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits that are comprehensive and competitive. We also offer an extremely congenial work environment and a casual dress code.
Application Procedure: Earthjustice has retained the services of Palmer Staffing for this search. Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to EJ@palmer-staffing.com
Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
If you need reasonable accommodation in order to complete the application, interview or some other portion of the selection process for a job at Earthjustice, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com.