Senior Financial Analyst
San Francisco, CA
San Francisco, CA
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Tallahassee, Miami, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, and Washington, DC.
The Senior Financial Analyst will be responsible for donor financial reporting, budgeting and analysis. They will serve as a liaison to the Development department and support grant writers, major gift officers, and others who require information for external stakeholders and internal restricted funds management.
We will consider Financial Analyst applicants as well as Senior Financial Analyst applicants.
The Senior Financial Analyst can be based in either our San Francisco, CA (preferred), Washington, D.C. or New York, NY office.
Donor Budgeting & Reporting (45%)
- Create donor-ready budget materials for the organization and key programs at the start of each fiscal year, and other donor budgets as needed.
- Facilitate approval process for budget expansion and funding contingent growth.
- Produce interim and final donor financial reports; analyze variances and flag discrepancies.
- Meet regularly with Development colleagues.
- Answer financial requests and questions from donors.
- Maintain a reporting schedule to track upcoming donor reporting deadlines.
Internal Budgeting and Forecasting (15%)
- Prepare project and program area budgets and projections; analyze variances.
- Create ad hoc budgets and projections for cross-functional areas upon request.
- Provide guidance and training to Development staff on budgeting and reporting methodologies and systems.
- Analyze and validate Development provided projections for reasonableness at key intervals during the annual budgeting and forecast processes.
- Support Development department as point person for budgeting and forecast processes.
Financial Analysis & Reporting (15%)
- Produce year to date financial statements for the organization, programs and regional offices.
- Track actual spending to allocated restricted revenue for every restriction and analyze variances.
- Provide regular reporting on funding needs per restriction.
- Review reported attorney hour time and analyze variance from benchmarked rate.
Net Asset Management (15%)
- Support Foundations team in tagging of matters and cases to ensure accurate coding to reportable topics.
- Develop internal funding level analysis and projections.
- Allocate restricted assets on a monthly basis.
Gift Administration (10%)
- Review all gift agreement restrictions for accuracy and relevance.
- Review spending projections to ensure alignment with trends and projections.
- Incorporate restricted gifts into net asset allocation plans.
- Update donor reporting schedule to reflect new gift reporting requirements.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business (with significant coursework in Accounting and Finance). Master’s degree in Finance strongly preferred.
- At least 3 to 5 years of professional related experience in budgeting or accounting positions, preferably in a not-for-profit environment.
- Demonstrated knowledge of key accounting, finance and budget principles, and an understanding of non-profit revenue recognition standards.
- Comprehensive experience with Excel is essential (i.e. pivot tables, vlookups, and manipulating data from multiple sources to identify trends and build reports).
- Experienced computer user, including proficiency with financial systems (i.e. SAGE MIP, NetSuite), Blackbaud, Excel, and Word.
- Excellent communication skills are required, as is the ability to work cooperatively with different personalities and financial aptitudes across the organization.
- Superior analytical and organizational skills are required, as are strong attention to detail, good recordkeeping, responsible time management, and the ability to juggle many projects and deadlines at once.
- A strong ability to work and think independently and maintain a questioning mind.
- Ability to problem solve and come up with strategies to improve processes and systems.
- Ability to keep confidential information.
- Non-profit experience and a passion for the Earthjustice mission are preferred.
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
We offer a mission and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity.
Earthjustice has retained the services of DHR International Executive Search. Please submit your resume and expression of interest to email@example.com
Please, no phone calls, hard copies, or drop-ins. If you're having technical difficulties submitting your application, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
If you need reasonable accommodation in order to complete the application, interview or some other portion of the selection process for a job at Earthjustice, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com.