Manager of Outreach and Membership Services
San Francisco, CA
San Francisco, CA
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Tallahassee, Miami, Chicago, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, and Washington, DC.
Reporting to the Director of Outreach and Membership Services, the Manager of Outreach and Membership Services is responsible for managing the Membership Services team. This position supervises the Outreach and Membership Services Associate and the Outreach and Membership Services Assistant. The Manager will coordinate and provide strategic direction in our activities designed to engage, cultivate, and steward donors including gift acknowledgements, membership services, and stewardship plans and publications.
The Manager, working collaboratively with Development and communications staff, is directly responsible for developing and executing meaningful stewardship outreach plans for annual giving donors and special giving circles to meet objectives in support of all fundraising strategies. These activities include oversight of the production of various publications and outreach materials and ensuring alignment between online and offline messaging. This position is critical to advancing the goals and strategic plans for Development.
Donor Stewardship & Strategy 40%
- Provide leadership to maximize Earthjustice’s level of stewardship and engagement with current and prospective donors to improve donor retention rates and increase contributed revenue to the organization.
- Develop and execute stewardship strategy including a model that outlines methods of connection and recognition for donor groups including Earthjustice members, Amicus Society donors, monthly supporters, 3rd party donors, and staff donors.
- Develop appropriate metrics and reports to assess and communicate donor relations effectiveness and impact on fundraising results.
- Analyze and interpret donor giving reports to identify trends and augment stewardship strategies as appropriate; report trends to OMS Director accordingly.
- Maintain functioning knowledge of salient program work in order to synthesize and package complex information into engaging outreach materials for specific donor groups.
- Manage membership services function to ensure donors and prospective donors are provided with clear, accurate, timely, professional and friendly responses and ensure that all communications are recorded in the database.
- Manage donor acknowledgment strategy — ensuring all donors are adequately thanked in a timely manner and that the acknowledgment program supports stewardship best practices.
- Collaborate with Communications, Donor Marketing and Engagement and other teams as appropriate to create and revise departmental collateral, including victory reports, fact sheets, postcards, and brochures, to support the cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of donors.
- Oversee development of messaging about our program work, in collaboration with Communication teams, in response to donor feedback to outgoing online communications.
- Ensure that all data and written communications have the highest level of quality control.
- Ensure collaboration on stewardship plans across departmental teams.
- Manage stewardship budget and track expenses.
Project Management 25%
- Manage memberships within 3rd party giving forums such as Colorado Gives, Combined Federal Campaign, and EarthShare. Direct activities of Outreach and Membership Services Assistant to fulfill membership requirements.
- Develop project timelines and maintain a master calendar of donor engagement activities that is shared with both Development and Communications departments.
- Participate in cross-organization committees as appropriate which are related to long-range planning, donor relationship management, and fundraising.
- Review all gift acknowledgment creations and revisions, including thank you letters and pledge statements.
Staff Management 35%
- Supervise the Outreach and Membership Services Associate and the Outreach and Membership Services Assistant, ensuring staff feel supported and fully engaged in department goals and individual roles.
- Ensure clear definition of roles and responsibilities for direct reports and help promote cohesion and integration with wider Outreach and Membership Services and Development teams.
- Oversee management of volunteers, contractors, and temporary employees.
- Recruits and hires qualified candidates who fit position requirements and the work environment.
- Promotes change in terms of the expected benefits, as well as removing or lowering the impact of potential obstacles.
- Sets clear team direction that aligns with Earthjustice strategy, mission, and vision.
- Develops staff by providing career development opportunities with appropriate training, encouragement, and supervision.
- Provides staff with performance feedback and acts as a coach and mentor.
- Promotes inclusive work environment for team and models inclusive behavior.
- Assist in supporting and implementing other development and communications initiatives.
- Outstanding communication skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively and successfully as a member of a team.
- Experience managing multiple projects at once.
- Experience creating and managing budgets.
- Experience with a fundraising database application, preferably the Raiser’s Edge or Blackbaud.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Windows and Office. Advanced knowledge of Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint are required.
- Interest in environmental and conservation issues desirable.
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Contributes to recruiting, hiring, developing and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce.
Management (Essential Skills)
- Ability to manage and lead a diverse team in a diverse environment with emotional intelligence and cultural competency.
- Has self-awareness and understands the impact of behaviors and emotional intelligence in the workplace. Also understands teams strengths and areas for development.
- Commitment to and experience in developing team skills and talents to meet the evolving needs of an organization.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Five years’ experience in donor or customer relations or similar experience, preferably in a non-profit setting.
- Management experience in donor or customer relations and stewardship with significant accomplishments with improving the donor/customer experience.
- Experience managing collateral development strongly desired.
Salary and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits that are comprehensive and competitive. We also offer an extremely congenial work environment and a casual dress code.
Earthjustice has retained the services of ThinkingAhead Executive Search. Please submit your resume and expression of interest to Chris Spagnola, Senior Recruiter, at firstname.lastname@example.org and Chelsea Bossell, Recruiter, at email@example.com.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership, and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
If you need reasonable accommodation in order to complete the application, interview or some other portion of the selection process for a job at Earthjustice, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.