Managing Attorney, Northeast Regional Office
New York, NY
New York, NY
Earthjustice is the nation’s premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Tallahassee, Miami, Chicago, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, and Washington, DC.
Earthjustice’s Northeast Regional Office presses for a swift and equitable transition from fossil fuels to clean energy, fights to protect communities from health threats such as dangerous chemicals in drinking water and air pollution from incinerators, and guards the natural environment from degradation and misuse. The Regional Office focuses on New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania, however attorneys in this office often take on cases with national scope or address programmatic priorities outside of the region.
The Managing Attorney for the Northeast Regional Office will lead and oversee the work of the office, based in New York City. The Managing Attorney will provide leadership for a growing team currently comprised of eight attorneys and nine professional staff. He/She will also manage, develop, and implement regional strategies that align with organization-wide strategic plans and programmatic and litigation priorities. The Managing Attorney will drive efforts to build and maintain effective working relationships with clients and other partner organizations, as well as with the news media, government officials, and donors.
The Managing Attorney will oversee five direct reports and report to a Vice President of Litigation based in Washington, D.C.
This is a significant opportunity for a dynamic leader to use her/his skills, the power of law, and the strength of partnership to deliver meaningful results for the environment, health, and communities in the Northeast as well as across the nation. The Managing Attorney for the Northeast Office will lead a gifted team of attorneys and staff, and work with them to chart a course for a key regional office of the largest public interest environmental law firm in the country.
Leadership and Strategy
- Provides litigation leadership by working collaboratively with attorneys in the office to maximize the quality and impact of the office’s total litigation effort.
- Manages, develops, and implements regional strategies that align with organization-wide strategic plans, core values, priorities, and other administrative policies andguidance.
- Manages and guides the development of the staff of the office to ensure they have the training, resources, feedback, and support to maximize their performance and skills development.
- Develops practices and policies that promote a respectful and inclusive workplace and that foster community and teamwork among a diverse group of staff.
- Builds and maintains effective working relationships with clients and other partner organizations.
- Serves as a primary public face of the office and the organization, including by working effectively with the news media, government officials, and donors.
- Works closely and productively with Earthjustice’s policy, communications, and fundraising teams to advance programmatic and institutional goals.
Recommend 30-70% depending on number of direct reports and assuming dedication of approximately 10% of time for each direct report
- Recruits and hires qualified candidates who fit position requirements and the work environment.
- Promotes change in terms of the expected benefits, as well as removing or lowering the impact of potential obstacles.
- Sets clear team direction that aligns with Earthjustice strategy, mission, and vision.
- Develops staff by identifying and encouraging training and professional development opportunities appropriate to role and creating development plans for all staff.
- Provides staff with consistent performance feedback – both positive and constructive -- and acts as a coach and mentor.
- Creates a learning culture, by encouraging debriefing after completion of significant stages of projects.
- Ensures that any direct reports who have supervisory responsibility are properly executing those functions.
- Creates a respectful and inclusive work environment for team and models respectful and inclusive behavior.
- Promptly addresses micro-aggressions and other concerns brought to their attention.
- Resolves interpersonal conflict among team members and brings in outside facilitators as needed.
- Communicates regularly with existing employees and encourages staff to raise concerns and to provide ongoing feedback.
- Creates or identifies strategic opportunities for team building and individual and overall staff engagement with one another in order to strengthen teamwork, interaction and collaboration.
- Values and uses individual differences and talents to improve employee satisfaction and the quality of collective work.
- Celebrates successes and helps team members to understand and manage setbacks.
Continued Personal Learning
Essential Skills and Abilities
Management (Essential Skills)
Salary and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits that are comprehensive and competitive. Salary depends on experience (DOE) and location. Salary DOE and for NY location is: $187,700 -$208,500
Earthjustice has retained the services of ThinkingAhead Executive Search. Please submit your resume and expression of interest to:
Chris Spagnola, Senior Recruiter, at email@example.com
Jessica Martinez, Senior Recruiter, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Brian Vogt, Partner, at email@example.com
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
If you need reasonable accommodation in order to complete the application, interview or some other portion of the selection process for a job at Earthjustice, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.