Director of Sustainable Operations and Impact
San Francisco, CA or Washington, DC or New York, NY or Remote
San Francisco, CA or Washington, DC or New York, NY or Remote
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are guided by a passionate, ambitious vision for the future for people and our planet: until justice stands for all, we will never rest. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Sacramento, Chicago, Tallahassee, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, Miami and Washington, DC.
Earthjustice’s first Director of Sustainable Operations and Impact will join a transformative team to create the organization’s first Sustainable Operations plan. The Director will lead holistic and regenerative sustainability initiatives across the organization through strategy development, oversight, and coordination, as well as through providing educational opportunities to Earthjustice employees to guide the organization toward best practices in sustainability.
With a focus on collaboration and staff involvement, the Director of Sustainable Operations and Impact will drive the creation and implementation of strategies to ensure that Earthjustice’s operations are a positive impact to its local environments and that these strategies provide solutions for measurable impact toward the stewardship of the planet and its resources.
The Director of Sustainable Operations and Impact will work in conjunction with Earthjustice leadership, colleagues, and consultants to develop infrastructure for comprehensive sustainability strategies and policies across Earthjustice’s growing workplace, which currently spans 15 US offices with plans to grow to 600+ staff. The Director will set clear and accountable goals for their program to ensure alignment with Earthjustice and Operations department strategic goals. This role is highly cross-functional and will involve input gathering as well as collaboration with many internal partners, including Operations team members and regional office administrators. The Director will build relationships, communicate plans, and bring staff across the enterprise along to create ownership in the efforts and outcomes that lead to a more sustainable organization. The Director will also work collaboratively across departments to create a reasonable system of tracking and reporting to move Earthjustice toward more sustainable operating outcomes.
The Director of Sustainable Operations and Impact will play a pivotal leadership role in evaluating, influencing and defining the next level in sustainable operations and will serve as a key thought partner to the VP of Real Estate and Workplace Strategy as Earthjustice develops and adopts forward-leaning workplace strategies (the “Future of Work”) across the organization. This newly created position will be instrumental in galvanizing Earthjustice’s employees to achieve alignment between their day-to-day activities and long-term operational goals and the overarching mission and core values of the organization.
The Director of Sustainable Operations and Impact reports to the Vice President of Real Estate and Workplace Strategy.
- Create a Sustainable Operations plan focused on holistic and regenerative strategies
- Work in collaboration with Earthjustice offices to develop guidelines or benchmarks for organization's environmental impact; work with various departments to incorporate sustainability practices and set conservation and environmental goals
- Act as a catalyst for positive change in relation to key Environmental and Social impact themes (e.g., Climate Action; Future of Work; Diversity, Equity & Inclusion; etc.)
- Guide the organization to adopt forward-leaning sustainable workplace and operations strategies
- Develop and lead highly innovative and targeted sustainability advocacy strategies that engage employees and constituents with short, medium, and long-term critical metrics that deliver measurable change
- Provide opportunities for continued learning for employees in sustainability practices through training or workshops
- Partner closely with the VP of Real Estate and Workplace Strategy to incorporate sustainability initiatives as Earthjustice evolves the Future of Work strategy for the organization and its employees
- Work in collaboration with the VP of RE and WP Strategy to design strategies to ensure Earthjustice uses its office space as a leading example of centering the health and wellness of staff and practicing holistic strategies to ensure efficient and sustainable workplaces
- Effectively employ scientific experts/expertise with appropriate technical skills to accurately inform direction and measure impact
- Synthesize and analyze data on outcomes and efforts pertaining to a sustainable operation
- Provide informative and digestible information for Board and Leadership to inform organizational strategies and alignment of business practices to the organizational mission and values
- Collaborate with communication teams to promote CSR and sustainability initiatives to stakeholders, including potential and current employees, partners, supporters, press and social media
- Showcase impact to appropriate audiences and help the organization celebrate small and large victories
We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits that are comprehensive and competitive. We also offer an extremely congenial work environment and a casual dress code.
Salary is dependent on experience and location.
Salary range in San Francisco, CA and New York, NY: $145,300 to $161,400
Salary range in Washington, DC: $138,100 to $153,400
Salary range in other locations may range from: $123,500 to $161,400
Earthjustice has retained the services of ThinkingAhead Executive Search. Please submit your resume and expression of interest to Chris Spagnola at email@example.com and Jessica Martinez at firstname.lastname@example.org.
No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership, and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
If you need reasonable accommodation in order to complete the application, interview or some other portion of the selection process for a job at Earthjustice, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com.