Inidividual Gifts Officer II
New York, NY
New York, NY
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are guided by a passionate, ambitious vision for the future for people and our planet: until justice stands for all, we will never rest. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Sacramento, Chicago, Tallahassee, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, Miami and Washington, DC.
The Individual Gifts Officer develops and implements strategies for the cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of a portfolio of donors along the East Coast potentially capable of major and/or deferred gifts. They conduct initial exploratory and qualification meetings with donors and prospects to determine capacity for major giving, and they manage donor relationships with Earthjustice accordingly.
The successful candidate must be able to build constructive and effective relationships with colleagues across the Development team and Administrative and Program staff.
This position will be based in Earthjustice’s New York City office and report to the Associate Director, East Coast.
The Individual Gifts Officer will join a growth-minded, best-in-class Development Team and be a key contributor in building Earthjustice’s community of philanthropy across the Eastern region and achieving the goals set forth in the organization’s $825 million Never Rest Campaign. This individual will have the opportunity to leave a lasting footprint on Earthjustice’s collaborative efforts to impact the most vital environmental justice issues of our time and bring about positive change.
- Maintain an active portfolio of 75-125 donors. Develop and implement moves management strategies for qualifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding those donors.
- Build relationships with donors and prospects via personal or video conferencing visits, phone calls, ongoing written contact, and events.
- Solicit and close outright gifts and planned gifts with a fundraising target of $500,000 annually.
- Develop an appropriate stewardship plan for the portfolio that demonstrates appreciation, recognition, and engagement of donors.
- Acquire and maintain a strong knowledge of Earthjustice’s work in order to educate and inform prospective and existing donors.
- Provide program information to donors and prospects and draft personalized correspondence and acknowledgments.
- Assist in identification and qualification of new prospects and donors in the region.
- Provide timely briefing memos and detailed contact reports for meetings and other contacts with donors. Record interactions with donors in the donor database.
- Promote team cohesion and a positive workplace culture by participating in department, office, and organization wide meetings, trainings, and skills sharing.
- Assist with related duties for the East Regional portfolios, including but not limited to logistics for donor cultivation events, virtual meetings and small gatherings.
- Other duties, as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and at least 1 year of major gift experience with a focus on prospect identification, relationship building, and solicitation.
- Experience using effective interpersonal skills, listening, diplomacy, and tact to build strong relationships with donors, volunteers, and all levels of staff.
- Ability to skillfully prioritize and manage a robust portfolio and juggle multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Capacity for absorbing and synthesizing complex program information and translating it into a compelling case for donors.
- Well-developed written and oral communication, negotiation, and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to design and implement fundraising initiatives including cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategies.
- Aptitude to determine an individual’s interest, capacity, and inclination to help Earthjustice meet its goals, and act appropriately to tie those interests with Earthjustice’s work.
- Ability to accurately assess situations with informal or incomplete information and make good decisions based on analysis, experience, and judgment; maintain confidentiality.
- Working knowledge of current trends in charitable giving, particularly in the areas of major gifts and planned giving. Working knowledge or willingness and ability to learn the basics of charitable gift planning.
- Comfort working independently and as a team member with initiative and flexibility.
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
- Sense of humor is desired.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and experience with BBEC or other donor databases.
- Valid driver’s license required within six months of hire.
This position requires some travel; up to 30% of the time that may fluctuate throughout the year.
We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits that are comprehensive and competitive. We also offer an extremely congenial work environment and a casual dress code.
Salary is based on experience and location.
Salary range in New York, NY: $91,700 to $101,900
Earthjustice has retained the services of ThinkingAhead Executive Search. Please submit your resume and expression of interest to Chris Spagnola at email@example.com and Jessica Martinez at firstname.lastname@example.org.
No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership, and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
If you need reasonable accommodation in order to complete the application, interview or some other portion of the selection process for a job at Earthjustice, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com.