We do not know the full outcome of the 2020 election yet. Earthjustice supports legal efforts pushing for a full count of the votes. Peaceful protest can also play a role in ensuring a fair election. Our environment, our climate, and our democracy are at stake.
The accuracy and integrity of the election depend on counting every vote. A ballot is a ballot is a ballot, whether it’s mailed in or dropped in a box at a voting booth — each holds the will of a voter.
Earthjustice’s ability to protect our environment and climate depends on the health of our democracy and the rule of law. And there is no fundamental principle more important to a democracy than free and fair elections.
Why a delay was expected:
- This is a high-turnout election. Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, more than 100 million people have voted early or by mail.
- Some states like Wisconsin and North Carolina made efforts to expand early and absentee voting to accommodate conditions brought on by the pandemic.
- These efforts by states were the subjects of contested partisan litigation battles which either delayed or changed implementation of states’ voting protocols.
What Earthjustice is doing:
What you can do:
- Spread the message in your online and offline social networks that we must count every vote.
- Add your name to the Count Every Vote pledge from the National Council on Election Integrity.