We consider it a privilege when you choose to support Earthjustice. At Earthjustice, your privacy and security are critically important to us.
Our fundamental privacy principles are transparency and fairness. In keeping with these principles, Earthjustice (“Earthjustice,” “we,” “our” or “us”) wants you to understand what kinds of information we collect about you, why we collect it and how we use or disclose it. We also want to make sure you know your rights regarding our collection, use and disclosure of that information.
We’ve tried to write this policy in a way that’s easy to understand, but some of it is technical. If you have any questions or concerns about this policy, please contact us.
This policy applies solely to information collected by earthjustice.org (the “Site”), and is effective May 25, 2018. If you use our Site on or after May 25, 2018, you agree to the new policy.
The Kinds Of Information We Collect About You
Information You Give Us Voluntarily
Earthjustice collects, retains and uses information you provide to us or give us permission to obtain. For example, you voluntarily provide or allow us to obtain information when you:
- Donate to or Purchase from Earthjustice. We request, collect and retain certain information necessary to verify your identity, prevent fraud and process your requested donation or purchase. This includes your name, email address, billing address, credit card information, phone number, donation and/or purchase amount, and other personally identifiable information you share with us. We collect, transmit and retain credit card transaction information in conformity with the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards.
- Use Earthjustice’s Site. We request, collect and retain certain information when you fill in a form, register for an event, subscribe to our electronic newsletter, respond to surveys, post to community forums or use other features of our Site. This includes your name, email address, mailing address, phone number and other personally identifiable information you share with us.
- Use Our Advocacy Service. Earthjustice’s advocacy service allows you to contact policy and/or decision makers about issues that concern you. If you participate in our advocacy service, we request, collect, and retain your name, email address, mailing address, phone number and other personally identifiable information you share with us. We also collect and retain: (1) the actions in which you participate and (2) the content of the messages you wrote and/or sent.
- Communicate with Us Online. Sometimes we request, collect and/or retain information when you communicate with us online, which may include your name, email address, mailing address, phone number, and other personally identifiable information you share with us. For example, you may ask us to update your contact information through firstname.lastname@example.org.
The above information is collected and processed, based on your consent, to fulfill your purchases and/or donations, to keep you up to date on Earthjustice’s work and issues that are important to you, to maintain and expand our relationship with you and other supporters, and for our other legitimate purposes.
Information We Collect Automatically When You Visit Our Site
Similar to most websites, certain kinds of information are automatically or passively collected, retained and used when you visit our Site:
- Log Data. When you visit or use any website, including our Site, your browser or mobile device creates certain information, which is logged. Log data may include your Internet Protocol (IP) address, searches, browser and system type and settings, the date and time you used the Site, how you used the Site, cookie data, and your device data. We use third parties to collect, retain, evaluate and make available to us this information when you visit our Site. We use this information to maintain and monitor the Site, including its availability, functionality, speed and security to make the Site more user-friendly and to improve your experience when you visit it.
Information Third Parties Share with Us
- Information from Third Parties. We sometimes collect information about you, including personal information, from third parties we work with or through publically available sources. We may combine that information with other information we collect through the Site or that you voluntarily provide or authorize us to obtain. We do not have any control over the third parties that provide us with your information, including how they collect, process or disclose your personal data.
- Device information. We use third parties to collect information about the device you use to visit the Site, including device type, operating system and settings. Whether we collect some or all of this information depends on the device you use and its privacy settings. We do not have any control over the third parties that provide us with your information, including how they collect, process or disclose your personal data.
- Payment Transaction Information. If you donate or make a purchase using a credit card, your credit card information is processed by our contracted merchant service providers. We do not retain information about your online payment transactions, but through a third-party platform we use, we can access the last four digits of your credit card and transaction information, such as the date and the amount.
- Other sources. To the extent permitted by applicable law, we may receive additional information about you—such as demographics, fraud detection information or other personally identifiable information—from third-party service providers. We may combine this with other information we have about you.
How Long We Keep Your Information
We keep your information as long as necessary to accomplish the uses described in this Policy. When we no longer need to use your information and there is no requirement that we keep it, we’ll either delete or depersonalize it so you can’t be identified.
Children’s On-Line Privacy
Our Site is not directed to children under 13 years of age, and we do not knowingly collect information from children under 13. Additionally, if you are in the European Union you must be over the age at which you can consent to data processing under your country’s laws or you must provide parental consent. If you are a parent and believe your child is receiving Earthjustice communications and you don’t want them to, or if you believe we are collecting your child’s personal information, please contact us.
Your Choices Regarding Your Information
You have choices about your data and how we collect, use or disclose it. We want to send you only the communications to which you have agreed. You can unsubscribe at any time.
- If you would like to opt out of postal or email communications from Earthjustice, you can do so through the online Member Center, or by contacting us by mail, phone, or email:
50 California Street, Suite 500
San Francisco, CA 94111
- If you would like to stop receiving mobile messages from Earthustice, please text STOP to 52886 or contact us at the mail address, phone number or email address above.
- If you wish to opt out of having your name and address shared with other organizations, please contact us at the mail address, phone number, or email address above.
Though our Site is not specifically directed towards the European Union (“EU”), and we don’t have a physical location in the EU, if you’re located in the EU or the European Economic Area, you can contact us at the mail address, phone number or email address above to:
- Request we share with you the information we have collected about you. This will take about 30 days;
- Request we correct or delete your information;
- Object to the processing of your information or
- Request we send the information we have collected about you to other organizations.
Changes To This Policy
If the changes are significant, we may provide a more prominent notice or ask for your consent, if required by law.
50 California Street, Suite 500
San Francisco, CA 94111
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health, to preserve magnificent places and wildlife, to advance clean energy, and to combat climate change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.