How To Love Our Food
We all want the same things for our families and communities — clean air and water, healthy food, a thriving environment.
Thanks to strong environmental laws and the tireless efforts of advocates, our air and water are much cleaner than they were four decades ago.
But the food we eat has become much dirtier—produced by a heavily polluting industrial food system that poisons its workers and our air and water, and floods our diet with unhealthy, and at times toxic, calories.
Families and farmers alike have been caught up in this badly broken system—but the good news is that across the country, people are coming together to fight for change.
Earthjustice has launched a sustainable food and agriculture program to support the growing movement by farmers, farm workers, environmental and community advocates, and others to remake our food system into one that nourishes and sustains life.
Building on Earthjustice’s long history and tremendous success in targeting agricultural pollution, we’re expanding the scope of our work to contribute to broad-reaching, systemic change.
We’re bringing the power of the law and legal advocacy to a broad range of food system issues, including:
- Banning the most dangerous pesticides and protecting workers, communities, consumers, and wildlife from pesticides still in use.
- Closing dangerous loopholes that allow industrial livestock facilities and other factory farms to poison the air and water in nearby communities.
- Increasing access to and affordability of healthy food for all.
- Removing toxic additives from foods and food packaging.
- Promoting transparency and truly informative labeling in the food we buy.
- Decreasing farming’s contribution to climate change and increasing the resilience of our food system.
Working together, we can bring healthy, sustainable, affordable food to all. Will you join us?
Video title photo by Nathalie Schueller for Earthjustice.
Published on April 22, 2016.