2017 Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Action Plan
2017 DEI Action Plan
Earthjustice's comprehensive diversity, equity and inclusion plan for 2017 lays out our internal and external organizational goals for the year. Included in the plan are tangible objectives and metrics for accountability.
The goals reflect the work we believe is essential to do on DEI, both inside and outside the doors of Earthjustice. Inside, we will continue our work to recruit and retain multi-culturally sophisticated employees and to build a stronger culture of inclusion. Outside our doors, we will work to diversify our clients, partners, donors and supporters to ensure that we are serving all communities impacted by environmental issues.
Last year's Action Plan was reviewed and assessed in early 2017.
- Create best practice screening guidelines for law clerk hiring and determine the purpose of the law clerk program across the organization. Measuring Our Progress: Were best practice guidelines created and operationalized for law clerk hiring?
- Provide training and explicit rationale for understanding that by having fair and equitable hiring practices diversity, in all its forms, will naturally flow. Measuring Our Progress: Were trainings with explicit rationale developed and implemented regarding the development of fair and equitable hiring practices?
- Create role clarification for the Managing Attorneys and Vice Presidents in the hiring process. Measuring Our Progress: Was guidance developed regarding the role(s) of the Managing Attorney and Vice President in the hiring process?
- Evaluate and scope potential improvements for ongoing recruitment and hiring for all positions—this will be an ongoing goal and will inform subsequent years’ objectives. Measuring Our Progress: Were all positions evaluated and were best practice improvement processes scoped or developed?
- Develop guidelines for staff with similar titles to come together and discuss opportunities for those in “ceiling title” positions to ensure recognition and rewards. Develop a plan to operationalize guidelines with managers/supervisors. Measuring Our Progress: Were the guidelines and plans for “ceiling title” positions developed? Was the plan operationalized with managers/supervisors?
- Develop a Leadership Program training curriculum. Measuring Our Progress: Was a training curriculum developed for the Leadership Program?
- Review guidelines for promotions. Measuring Our Progress: Were guidelines for promotions reviewed and recommendations forwarded to the Senior Leadership Team and Human Resources?
- Follow-up on regional office assessments and operationalize recommendations. Measuring Our Progress: Was a comprehensive plan developed that was informed by the regional office assessments?
- Continue training series on creating and maintaining respectful partnerships. Measuring Our Progress: What were the number of trainings provided?
- Develop guidelines to supplement training regarding maintaining partner/client relationships. Measuring Our Progress:Were the guidelines for partner/client relationships developed?
- Develop time tracking mechanism to account for time spent on developing and maintaining partnerships and incorporate into performance metrics. Measuring Our Progress: Was a time tracking mechanism developed? Was this mechanism incorporated into the performance metrics?
- Develop mechanism to solicit information from our partners. Measuring Our Progress: Was the mechanism for collection developed?
- Complete the fundraising toolkit for capacity building with a select group of partners. Measuring Our Progress: Was the fundraising toolkit created?
- Explore the possibility of joint fundraising with select partners and, if possible, draft guidelines. Measuring Our Progress: Was research conducted to identify joint fundraising opportunities with select partners? Were guidelines for joint fundraising established?
- Identify targeted DEI goals with each Development Department Director and corresponding accountability metrics. Measuring Our Progress: Were DEI goals and accountability metrics developed with each Development Department Director?
- Continue BUDS Program and refine for optimal effectiveness. Measuring Our Progress: How was BUDS 2.0 refined and made more effective? Identify the number of staff involved in the 2017 BUDS Program.
- Develop a recommended reading and viewing list of select DEI topics for new employees. Measuring Our Progress: Were recommendations developed and incorporated into Earthjustice’s new hire orientation?
- Create a survey focused specifically on internal culture and allow staff to self-identify race/ethnicity, gender, orientation, religion, ability, etc. Measuring Our Progress: Was a survey administered and aggregate results provided to SLT and the organization?
- Create an Earthjustice video for prospective applicants regarding a “day/month in the life of Earthjustice” focused on capturing the internal culture of the organization. Measuring Our Progress: Was the video created that captured Earthjustice’s internal culture?
- Provide input to the Strategic Plan. Measuring Our Progress: Did workgroup members provide feedback regarding the strategic plan?
- Develop three-year comprehensive DEI training plan to meet the following goals of the training:
- Provide a shared language and set of core organizational values.
- All people feel valued and welcome (staff, partners, clients, donors, etc.).
- Provide tools for people including contextual/historical information.
- Become aware of and address organizational and systemic barriers.
- Explicitly understand DEI’s connection to achieving our organizational mission.
- Assess best methods for providing training to account for different learning styles with specific attention to both theory and practice. Measuring Our Progress: Were trainings identified to optimize access to and retention of materials? Were theory and practice included in this method assessment?
- Evaluate potential of train-the-trainer opportunities. Measuring Our Progress: Which train-the-trainer program have we decided to enlist and why?
- Establish an organizational inclusive event. Measuring Our Progress: Was an inclusive day or event established? How many regional offices participated?
- Assess ways that would make staff feel their work is valued. Measuring Our Progress: Were methods developed to help staff feel their work is valued? What processes or mechanisms highlighted their work?
- Provide ongoing guidance to assist managers in employee engagment and recognition (e.g., rounding with employees). Measuring Our Progress: Were tools provided to managers regarding increasing effective employee engagement and recognition?
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health, to preserve magnificent places and wildlife, to advance clean energy, and to combat climate change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.