Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Action Plan
DEI Action Plan
Earthjustice's comprehensive Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Plan laid out our internal and external organizational goals for 2018. The goals reflected the work we believe is essential to do on DEI, both inside and outside the doors of Earthjustice.
Inside, we will continue our work to recruit and retain multi-culturally sophisticated employees and to build a stronger culture of inclusion. Outside our doors, we will work to diversify our clients, partners, donors and supporters to ensure that we are serving all communities impacted by environmental issues.
A ‘Report Card’ on the 2018 Plan, issued in early 2019, assessed the original objectives, summarized what was accomplished and assigned a rating to each outcome. The 2018 assessment also includes a demographic review of the organization. These demographic indicators, while not the sole markers of our progress, point us to where we need to put continued focus.
- Assess how the hiring guidelines are being implemented and provide any needed clarification and guidance:
- Assess lessons learned and provide clarification of hiring tools, including creating an frequently asked questions list and additional in-person training.
- Seek input from various hiring committee members.
- Review and potentially revise the current slate of interview questions.
- Broaden potential new hire applicant pool by increasing outreach to different colleges, law schools, programs, communities, and professional organizations. Measuring Our Progress: Was outreach increased to different colleges, law schools, programs, communities and professional organizations?
- Finalize and publish a list of job families, as created by Human Resources and the Senior Leadership Team, that will define the various levels within each family (e.g. Litigation Assistant I and Litigation Assistant II). Measuring Our Progress: Were job families finalized and published to the organization?
- Develop a process to build the capacity of our partners through trainings — hosted by the organization at Earthjustice — regarding topics such as fundraising, social media, communications and permits. Measuring Our Progress: How many sessions did we offer to our partners to increase their capacity on various topics?
- Continue with the creation and dissemination of a Client Survey to assess Earthjustice’s performance regarding cultural competency and respectful partnership building. Measuring Our Progress: Did we implement the client survey?
- Fully utilize the partnership toolkit through better communication and training, including visiting regional offices/programs to promote the toolkit. Measuring Our Progress: How many trainings did we provide to increase knowledge and use of the partnership toolkit?
- Finalize and disseminate Development Toolkit to our partners to increase their capacity regarding development practices. Measuring Our Progress: How many partners received our Development Toolkit?
- Rebrand the organization’s mid-level donor program. Measuring Our Progress: Did we rebrand the organization’s mid-level donor program?
- Assess outreach strategies to all donors at all giving levels. Measuring Our Progress: Did we conduct assessments of the organization’s outreach strategies?
- Engage in cross-office learning about what the regional offices and headquarters are doing regarding their internal culture.
- Form a local committee of staff from their respective offices or group to encourage more events or points of discussion.
- Facilitate more opportunities to form connections with colleagues.
- Determine ways to increase inclusion efforts through the intranet Atlas.
- Continue the yearly BUDS (Building Understanding through Discussion and Sharing) program. Measuring Our Progress: How many staff participated in the 2018–2019 BUDS program? Did the participants find the program to be beneficial?
- In addition to continuing with the annual Peer Nomination Awards, determine how we can express appreciation on an ongoing basis. Measuring Our Progress: Were recommendations for additional means of expressing staff appreciation determined?
- Continue with year two of the three-year comprehensive organizational DEI training plan and develop mechanism for capturing feedback. Measuring Our Progress: What were the organization-wide training provided and was the feedback captured utilized in informing future trainings?
- Assess current role of the Internal Resource Team and the potential for expanding duties to include, for example, facilitation and consultation. Measuring Our Progress: What were the agreed upon duties of the Internal Resource Team members?
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health, to preserve magnificent places and wildlife, to advance clean energy, and to combat climate change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.