About Earthjustice and Earthjustice Action
Earthjustice and Earthjustice Action are separate, affiliated organizations. They are both focused on protecting health, preserving magnificent places and wildlife, advancing clean energy, and combating climate change.
What is Earthjustice Action?
Established in 2017, Earthjustice Action is Earthjustice’s 501(c)(4) advocacy partner, focusing on grassroots advocacy, education, and electoral work.
As a 501(c)(4) nonprofit organization, Earthjustice Action is legally permitted to engage in a broader range of activities than Earthjustice, including lobbying beyond 501(c)(3) limits and electoral activities.
Earthjustice Action serves a much-needed role in ensuring that our courts are front and center in environmental politics, working to:
- Educate voters on the critical importance of federal judges
- Help confirm federal judges who recognize that the government has a responsibility to protect the environment, public health, and public lands for all people
- Protect the environmental laws that Earthjustice’s attorneys depend on to win in court, including the Endangered Species Act and National Environmental Policy Act
- Catalyze bipartisan support in Congress to safeguard our health and environment, and more
Earthjustice Action does not endorse candidates for office.
What is the difference between 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4)?
Named after the relevant sections in the U.S. federal tax code, 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) organizations are distinguished by types of allowable activities.
- 501(c)(3) organizations are nonprofits serving charitable, religious, or educational purposes. They are permitted to engage in a limited amount of lobbying, advocacy, or political activity. Donations are tax-deductible. Earthjustice is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit.
- 501(c)(4) organizations are nonprofits serving “social welfare” purposes. They are permitted to engage in a broader range of advocacy and lobbying than 501(c)(3) organizations. Donations are not tax-deductible. Earthjustice Action is a 501(c)(4) nonprofit.
How do Earthjustice and Earthjustice Action work together?
Established in 1971, Earthjustice is the legal backbone for the environmental movement. We are the attorneys and legal strategists for hundreds of public-interest national and community organizations, representing all our clients for free. With more than 170 attorneys, Earthjustice enforces our nation’s environmental laws to protect the environment, our health, and our climate.
Earthjustice Action complements Earthjustice’s litigation victories through work on Capitol Hill and with electoral efforts. Earthjustice Action increases the political strength of the environmental and broader progressive communities, defending Earthjustice’s court wins from legislative attacks and extending the power of our nation’s environmental laws.
Are my donations tax-deductible?
Both Earthjustice and Earthjustice Action are not-for-profit organizations.
- Yes, donations to Earthjustice are tax-deductible. Our tax identification number is EIN 94-1730465. Donate to Earthjustice.
- Donations to Earthjustice Action are not tax-deductible. Support Earthjustice Action.
We are grateful for your support.