The Hiring Process
We encourage applicants interested in our open job opportunities to familiarize themselves with Earthjustice's job application process and tips for success.
The Application Process
Selected candidates who meet the required job qualifications will be invited for a phone screen.
After a successful phone screen, candidates will move on to the interview process to meet the Earthjustice team in person or via video conference. The number of interviews in this round may range from one to three in-person or video conference interviews.
Prepare for your interview
The “STAR“ method is a structured manner of responding to behavioral-based interview questions. To answer questions using this method, you must discuss the specific Situation, Task, Action, and Result of the example you are asked to describe. Be prepared to discuss your academic coursework, professional and volunteer work experience, leadership, teamwork, initiative, planning, and customer service, with specific examples from your past.
- Interview Etiquette: For in-person interviews, please note we are a fragrance free office. Kindly refrain from wearing heavily scented lotions or perfume/cologne. If participating in a virtual interview, then please contact the hiring manager via email promptly if you are having any connectivity issues or delays. If you need to cancel an interview or reschedule, then please let us know in advance.
- References: All top candidates will be asked to submit three professional references (at least two former supervisors); and will be required to complete a background check (via an external agency).
- Background Check: The background check process will verify education, driving records, county / state / federal criminal records, employment verification, and professional licenses. All applicants can request a copy of their background check from the agency.
- Conflicts Checks: We are committed to maintaining the highest ethical standards at Earthjustice. To ensure compliance with ethical requirements, we request that all applicants disclose any potential conflicts of interest, and that attorneys and law clerks disclose information regarding their prior representations.
Our teams (Litigation, Operations, Development, and Communications) all have different hiring paces. Our attorneys are on active cases, which may delay the hiring process.
Be patient in the process. Do not give up! If you have another offer or conflict, please communicate with your hiring team accordingly.
Tips for Success
- Familiarize yourself with our work: Learn about Earthjustice and understand our mission, core values, and history. Review our case work and website materials to see what we're working on currently. Come prepared to share what you know about Earthjustice, and why you want to work here.
- Holistic hiring perspective: We're looking at candidates from a holistic perspective — including technical skills, cultural competency, and emotional intelligence. Candidates should prepare to be asked interview questions related to all of these key aspects.
- Have key documents ready: Many of our positions require key documents to be submitted. Check the job posting description for required documents before submitting your application. For example:
- Cover letter (we take the cover letter very seriously!)
- Writing samples
- Please do not get discouraged — keep trying! If you are not selected as a final candidate, then please do not get discouraged. Many people apply to a variety of jobs at Earthjustice, especially our attorney roles. Just because you’re not hired now, doesn’t mean you should give up. Each hiring process is individualized to a particular office or team. A rejection from one position or job should not be taken as a rejection from all applications. Keep trying — we have many offices and hiring teams nationwide, and Earthjustice is growing. Stay in touch with us by signing up for our Job Alerts to receive email notifications when new positions are posted in the areas of your interest.
If you need reasonable accommodation in order to complete the application, interview or some other portion of the selection process for a job at Earthjustice, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership, inclusion, and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected.
As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.