What are cookies and similar technologies, and why do we use them?
Cookies are small text files that are placed on your computer or mobile device, through your browser, by the websites that you visit. These text files can be read by these websites, through the browser, and help to identify you when you return to a website. Cookies do not run programs or deliver viruses to your computer.
Some cookies are set by Earthjustice, and some are set by third parties. The cookies that third parties set can recognize the device you use to visit our Site as well as when you visit other websites. Cookies are used to make the Site work properly, help make the user experience more efficient, to track metrics to help us improve our Site and the information we provide, and to help us provide personalized advertising and fundraising experiences for users.
Similar technologies include any technology that, comparable to cookies, stores or accesses information on your device. Such technologies may include, for example, HTML5 storage, Local Shared Objects, fingerprinting techniques as well as scripts and tracking pixels.
What cookies are set on Earthjustice’s Site or Microsite?
Most of the cookies set during your visit to the Site or Microsite come from third-party companies that we use to monitor and improve the user’s experience. We also set a small number of cookies to ensure the website platform functions properly and securely. Cookies fall into the following categories:
- Necessary Cookies: These cookies either have the sole purpose of allowing or facilitating electronic communication (e.g., transmit communications over the Internet) or are strictly necessary to provide a service you have explicitly requested (e.g., securely authenticating users when they log into the Site or Microsite or when a donation is made online to support our work).
- Functionality Cookies: These cookies help us create a better user experience by enabling personalization and engagement, such as displaying certain popup notifications one-time only.
- Analytics/Performance Cookies: These cookies allow us to monitor our Site’s or Microsite’s performance. We use them to understand how people use our Site or Microsite so that we can continue to improve the Site or Microsite and your experience when you visit.
- Marketing Cookies: These cookies help us better understand the outcomes of advertising and fundraising efforts by tracking ad conversions and performance of ad traffic coming from third-party platforms.
- Third-Party Cookies: These cookies are set by external services, such as YouTube, when you visit a page on our Site or Microsite containing a video or other resource embedded from that third-party service.
The Site or the Microsites use the following first-party cookies: