What are cookies and similar technologies, and why do we use them?
Cookies are small text files that are placed on your computer or mobile device, through your browser, by the websites that you visit. These text files can be read by these websites, through the browser, and help to identify you when you return to a website. Cookies do not run programs or deliver viruses to your computer.
Some cookies are set by Earthjustice, and some are set by third parties. The cookies that third parties set can recognize the device you use to visit our Site as well as when you visit other websites. Cookies are used to make the Site work properly, help make the user experience more efficient, to track metrics to help us improve our Site and the information we provide, and to help us provide personalized advertising and fundraising experiences for users.
Similar technologies include any technology that, comparable to cookies, stores or accesses information on your device. Such technologies may include, for example, HTML5 storage, Local Shared Objects, fingerprinting techniques as well as scripts and tracking pixels.
What cookies are set on Earthjustice’s Site or Microsite?
Most of the cookies set during your visit to the Site or Microsite come from third-party companies that we use to monitor and improve the user’s experience. We also set a small number of cookies to ensure the website platform functions properly and securely. Cookies fall into the following categories:
- Necessary Cookies: These cookies either have the sole purpose of allowing or facilitating electronic communication (e.g., transmit communications over the Internet) or are strictly necessary to provide a service you have explicitly requested (e.g., securely authenticating users when they log into the Site or Microsite or when a donation is made online to support our work).
- Functionality Cookies: These cookies help us create a better user experience by enabling personalization and engagement, such as displaying certain popup notifications one-time only.
- Analytics/Performance Cookies: These cookies allow us to monitor our Site’s or Microsite’s performance. We use them to understand how people use our Site or Microsite so that we can continue to improve the Site or Microsite and your experience when you visit.
- Marketing Cookies: These cookies help us better understand the outcomes of advertising and fundraising efforts by tracking ad conversions and performance of ad traffic coming from third-party platforms.
- Third-Party Cookies: These cookies are set by external services, such as YouTube, when you visit a page on our Site or Microsite containing a video or other resource embedded from that third-party service.
The Site or the Microsites use the following first-party cookies:
|Cookie Control||CookieControl||Necessary||Remembers cookie consent preferences||365 days|
|Google Tag Manager||_dc_gtm_*||Necessary||Tag management system. Used to throttle request rate||1 minute|
||Necessary||Enables functionality on Earthjustice's action, donation, and signup forms.||10 years|
|EveryAction||_incap_*||Necessary||Enables functionality on Earthjustice's action, donation, and signup forms.||1 year|
|EveryAction||nlbi_*, incap_ses_*||Necessary||Enables functionality on Earthjustice's action, donation, and signup forms.||Session|
|EveryAction||TiPMix, x-ms-routing-name||Necessary||Enables functionality on Earthjustice's action, donation, and signup forms.||1 hour|
|EveryAction||ai_session||Necessary||Enables functionality on Earthjustice's action, donation, and signup forms.||30 minutes|
||Necessary||Enables functionality on Earthjustice's action, donation, and signup forms.||4 hours|
|Pay Pal||ts, ts_c||Necessary||Enables donations through PayPal||767 days|
|Pay Pal||enforce_policy||Necessary||Enables donations through PayPal||36 days|
|Adobe Fonts||-||Necessary||Two website fonts are served from Adobe Fonts. No cookies are set. Adobe collects diagnostic information through the script that serves the fonts.||n/a|
|Earthjustice||modal-*||Functional||When popup lightbox is in use on the website, this cookie determines if the lightbox should display for the visitor, based on the display frequency.||Depends on the frequency set for the popup lightbox. Typically, 1 week.|
|Google Optimize||_gaexp||Functional||Displays different webpage designs to visitors to test different ways of delivering content. Used to determine a user's inclusion in a design test and the expiry of design tests a user has been included in.||Depends on the length of the design test. Typically, 90 days|
Unique identifier. Used on legacy.
Autofill form fields. Used on legacy.
|Google Analytics||_ga, _ga_*||Analytics / Performance||Google Analytics provides statistics on website visits. These cookies are used to distinguish users and persist session state||2 years|
|Google Analytics||_gat_*||Analytics / Performance||Used to throttle request rate||1 minute|
|Google Analytics||_gid||Analytics / Performance||Used to distinguish users||24 hours|
|Google Analytics||__utmc||Analytics / Performance||Set for interoperability with urchin.js. Historically, this cookie operated in conjunction with the __utmb cookie to determine whether the user was in a new session/visit.||Session|
|MarketSmart||_pk_id.*||Analytics / Performance||
Used to recognize visitors and hold their various properties. Piwik PRO provides statistics on website visits to legacy.
|BidSwitch||c, tuuid, tuuid_lu||Marketing||Tracks your visits from ads and performs retargeting||1 year|
|Bing (Microsoft)||MUID (clarity.ms), MUID (bing.com)||Marketing||Contains a GUID assigned to your browser||390 days|
|Bing||CLID||Marketing||Identifies the first-time Clarity saw this user on any site using Clarity||1 year|
|Bing||_clck||Marketing||Persists the Clarity User ID and preferences||unique to that site|
|Bing||_clsk||Marketing||Connects multiple page views by a user into a single Clarity session recording||1 year|
|Bing||_uetmsclkid||Marketing||Used to improve the accuracy of conversion tracking||390 days|
|Bing||_uetsid||Marketing||Contains session ID for a unique session on the site||1 day|
|Bing||_uetvid||Marketing||Contains unique||anonymized visitor ID|
|Bing||MR||Marketing||Indicates whether to refresh MUID||1 week|
|Bing||SUID||Marketing||Tracks ad conversions||1 day|
|Bing||_SS||Marketing||Tracks ad conversions||Session|
|Bing||SRCHHPGUSR, SRCHUID, SRCHD, SRCHUSR||Marketing||Tracks ad conversions||11 months|
|Casale Media||CMID, CMRUM3, CMPRO, CMTS, CMPS||Marketing||Tracks your visits from ads and performs retargeting||1 year|
|Google AdSense / Doubleclick||
1P_JAR, APISID, HSID, IDE, SAPISID, SEARCH_
||Marketing||Tracks ad conversions. Set through Google Floodlight, on specific webpages.||2 years|
|Google AdSense / Doubleclick||SIDCC, __Secure-3PSIDCC||Marketing||Tracks ad conversions. Set through Google Floodlight, on specific webpages.||365 days|
|Google AdSense / Doubleclick||NID||Marketing||Tracks ad conversions. Set through Google Floodlight, on specific webpages.||6 months|
|Google AdSense / Doubleclick||test_cookie||Marketing||Tracks ad conversions. Set through Google Floodlight, on specific webpages.||15 minutes|
|LoopMe||lm_ct, lm_ssid||Marketing||Tracks your visits from ads and performs retargeting||1 day|
|LoopMe||viewer_token||Marketing||Tracks ad traffic||90 days|
|Magnite / Rubicon Project||audit, khaos||Marketing||Tracks your visits from ads and performs retargeting||1 year|
|Meta (Facebook)||_fbp||Marketing||Tracks performance of ad traffic coming from Facebook. Unique identifier for Meta (Facebook) Pixel||3 months|
|Xander||anj, uuid2||Marketing||Tracks ad traffic||3 months|
|Xander||uids||Marketing||Tracks ad traffic||30 days|
|Xander||icu, usersync||Marketing||Tracks ad traffic||90 days|
|TTD||TDCPM, TDID||Marketing||Tracks ad traffic||1 year|
|PubMatic||KRTBCOOKIE_*, PUBMDCID, PugT||Marketing||Tracks your visits from ads and performs retargeting||1 year|
|Yahoo||A3, IDSYNC||Marketing||Tracks your visits from ads and performs retargeting||1 year|
How can I disable or delete cookies?
Learn how to disable or enable cookies for Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Apple Safari, or Microsoft Internet Explorer or Edge.
What other similar technologies do we use?
- Social Media Plug-Ins: To enable people to share our content across social platforms, some pages include social media plug-ins that are managed by social media platforms. Pages on the Site or Microsite where posts from social media platforms are embedded include plug-ins from that social media platform. When you browse a page with a plug-in, it connects with the social network platform and sends information, including which pages you viewed, length of visit, and so forth. If you have an account with one of those social networks, this information can be stored in your account. Earthjustice does not have direct access to information stored in your social media account.
- Session Recordings: Earthjustice employs a third-party vendor (Ovrture) to produce personal microsites for individual donors. Web analytics, including playbacks of session recordings, may be used to track a user’s engagement with the personal microsite. This includes information all user interactions with the personal microsite such as where clicks are made, searches, and how far down the page visitors scrolled. This use of data allows Earthjustice to provide an optimal experience for the user of the personal microsite. Note: We do not operate personalized donor microsites for donors located in the EU/EEA or the UK and Earthjustice’s main Site does not use session recording technology.
- Tracking Pixels: On our Site, we use a limited number of “tracking pixels” — small snippets of code — from third-party services to help us learn about and improve your digital experience. Tracking pixels collect information from your visit to our Site or Microsites, such as the pages visited, and the search keywords used to reach our Site or Microsites. We use this technology to better understand how visitors respond to our social media posts and ad campaigns, to learn about common interests among our visitors, and to display relevant advertisements through these third-party services to you or audiences with similar interests. We also use tracking pixels for the purposes of retargeting (also called “remarketing”). In retargeting, we reach out to you on other web sites you visit by displaying personalized advertisements about our work, based on data collected during your visits to our Site or Microsites. We use tracking pixels as permitted by applicable law and, where required, based on your consent.
The Site or the Microsites use the following tracking pixels:
|Bing (Microsoft)||Track conversions||390 days|
|Google (DV360)||Track ad traffic and performance||3 months|
|LoopMe||Track performance for marketing ads on third-party podcasts, connected TV, mobile, etc.||365 days|
|Meta (Facebook)||Track performance of Facebook ads and posts||37 months|
|TTD||Track performance for marketing ads on third-party websites||6 months|
|Xandr||Track performance for marketing ads on third-party websites||6 months|
To block website tracking pixels, you can use the Mozilla Firefox browser (on desktop or on Android mobile devices), which blocks tracking content by default. Browser add-ons, such as Privacy Badger from the Electronic Frontier Foundation, and other ad-blockers also can be used to customize the trackers you choose to decline or accept. You can specifically opt out of Google’s cookies and device identifiers through Google’s Ads Settings.
We also include a tracking pixel in our emails. The tracking pixel lets us know whether you opened the email. You can unsubscribe from our emails at any time through the online Member Center, or by contacting us by mail, phone, or email:
50 California Street, Suite 500
San Francisco, CA 94111