We consider it a privilege when you choose to support Earthjustice. At Earthjustice, your privacy and security are critically important to us.
Our fundamental privacy principles are transparency and fairness. In keeping with these principles, Earthjustice (“Earthjustice,” “we,” “our” or “us”) wants you to understand what kinds of personal information we collect about you, why we collect it and how we use or disclose it. We also want to make sure you know your rights regarding our collection, use and disclosure of your personal information. In this policy, the term “personal information” refers to information that identifies you as an individual or relates to you as an identifiable individual.
We’ve tried to write this policy in a way that’s easy to understand, but some of it is technical. If you have any questions or concerns about this policy, please contact us.
The Kinds Of Information We Collect About You
Information You Give Us Voluntarily
Earthjustice collects, retains and uses personal information you provide to us or give us permission to obtain. You voluntarily provide or allow us to obtain information when you:
- Donate to Earthjustice. When you make a donation to or purchase from Earthjustice, we request, collect and retain certain information from you (collectively “Transactional Information”). Transactional Information includes your name, email address, billing address, credit card information, phone number, donation and/or purchase amount, and other personally identifiable information you might choose to share with us in this context.
- Use of Earthjustice Site or Microsites. Depending on the features of the Site or Microsites you choose to use, we request, collect and retain certain information (collectively “Service Information”). Service Information includes your name, email address, mailing address, phone number and other personally identifiable information you choose to share with us when using our Site or Microsites.
- Use of Our Advocacy Services. Earthjustice’s advocacy service allows you to contact policy and/or decision makers about issues that concern you. If you use our advocacy service, we request, collect, and retain certain information (collectively “Advocacy Information”). Advocacy Information includes your name, email address, mailing address, phone number and other personally identifiable information you choose to share with us in this context; we also collect and retain: (1) information about the actions in which you participate and (2) the content of the messages you wrote and/or sent. To receive your message, policy or decision makers may require you to provide additional information such as a salutation or place of residence.
Information We Collect Automatically
Similar to most websites, certain kinds of information are automatically or passively collected, retained and used when you visit our Site or a Microsites:
- Log Data. When you visit or use any website, including our Site or Microsites, your browser or device creates certain information, which is logged (collectively “Log Data”). Log Data may include your Internet Protocol (IP) address, your browser and system type, version and settings, data about your device, which website you came from, search terms used to reach our Site or Microsites, the date and time you used the Site or Microsites.
How Long We Keep Your Information
We keep your personal information for as long as necessary to accomplish the uses described in this Policy and as consistent with applicable law.
The criteria used to determine our retention periods include:
- The length of time we have an ongoing relationship with you and provide our services to you (for example, for as long as you have an account with us or keep using our services);
- Whether there is a legal obligation to which we are subject (for example, certain laws require us to keep records of your transactions for a certain period of time before we can delete them); and
- Whether retention is advisable in light of our legal position (such as in regard to applicable statutes of limitations, litigation or regulatory investigations).
When we are no longer using your personal information and there is no legal requirement that we keep it, we will either delete or depersonalize it so you cannot be identified.
Children’s On-Line Privacy
Our Site or Microsites are not directed to children under 13 years of age, and we do not knowingly collect information from children under 13. If you are a parent and believe your child is receiving Earthjustice communications and you don’t want them to, or if you believe we are collecting your child’s personal informationn, please contact us.
Your Choices Regarding Your Information
You have choices about your data and how we collect, use or disclose it. We want to send you only the communications to which you have agreed. You can unsubscribe at any time.
- If, at any time, you would like to revoke your consent (where applicable) or otherwise opt-out of email communications from Earthjustice, you can do so through the online Member Center, or by contacting us by mail, phone, or email.
- If, at any time, you would like to revoke your consent (where applicable) or otherwise opt-out of postal communications from Earthjustice, you can do so by filling out our mail preference form, or by contacting us by mail, phone, or email:
50 California Street, Suite 500
San Francisco, CA 94111
- If, at any time after you opt-in to receiving mobile message, you would like to revoke your consent (where applicable) or otherwise opt out of receiving mobile messages from Earthustice, please text STOP to 43428 or contact us at the mail address, phone number or email address above.
- If, at any time, you wish to revoke your consent (where applicable) or otherwise opt out of having your name and address shared with other organizations, please contact us at the mail address, phone number, or email address above.
You can contact us at the mail address, phone number or email address above to:
- Request we share with you the information we have collected about you. This will take about 30 days; and
- Request we correct or delete your information.
Changes To This Policy
50 California Street, Suite 500
San Francisco, CA 94111
Effective Date: March 7, 2022